Calling Hemi experts : oil for 392 ?

Time to change the engine oil.

What grade of oil do folks recommend (now, not in 1958) for the 392 Hemi? Engine has relatively few (I am guessing 3 or 4,000) miles since rebuild.

Also, Semi-synthetic or Fully-synthetic?

The engine is very infrequently started. Does anyone recommend either Slick-50 additive, or Castrol Magnatec oil (claims to adhere to metal surfaces)?

Thank you.

RS

I would use 10W30 like everyone else. Maybe 15W40 to mask the symptoms of a worn engine if it is bad but not in a good engine.

Check the manufacturer's recommendation, they probably called for 10W30 when it was made. That was what we used in everything made in the 50s 60s and 70s.

If you just did a complete rebuild synthetic may be a good idea. Depends how long you plan to keep the car, and you should check with the oil maker to find out if they recommend it for a car getting only occasional use.

Really!? I have driven many thousands of miles in cars with flat tappet cams (VW, Mercedes, Dodge to name a few) with ordinary 10W30 in the crankcase. Wonder what did protect them?

Seems odd to me that the oil companies would overlook this point. Maybe they didn't know flat tappet cams needed extra protection.