Hemi Lifter Question

Guest CharlesinMaine

Guest CharlesinMaine

I have freed the stuck valves on 53 331 Hemi powered New Yorker that has been in many years of storage. One lifter seems to be collapsed. Short of pulling the intake manifold are there any shortcuts to giving life to the lifter? The engine purrs with the exception of this cylinder without a pushrod that meets the rocker. I am hoping that it is the lifter and not a cam lobe. When I push on the push rod I have about 1/4" of spring loaded motion though the length of the rod combined with the lifter is about 1" too short. Any help appreciated.

I have never worked on a Hemi or in fact any engine as new as 1953, any assistance appreciated.

Is there a source that specializes in hemi parts? I may need a lifter and would like to purchase a set of pushrods.

Thanking all in advance for your consideration to assist.

Charles In Maine

Guest CharlesinMaine

No correct push rod same as other intake rods, yet to remove intake manifold to examine lifters. I would believe that even with a collapsed or faulty lifter that when pushrod is pushed by hand towards cam while engine is running there should be some recip even if lifter is collapsed, it may not be pumping up though it sure takes up mechanical space from cam to pushrod, I am afraid I will have a bad bcam lobe. Any other assumptions appreciated..

Charles

Guest CharlesinMaine

Today, pulled intake manifold and valley cover the stuck intake tappet had a sleeve that extended out of the block a shorter distance than other working sleeves, therefore I assumed a blown cam lobe. Upon closer examinination of the lifter barrel or sleeve it became apparent that the 1/4" long section of the integral later 53 tappet had been broken off by a previous owner trying to remove it using the extraction tube with the pin holes and oin, or possibly just a chisle. So in-fact my cam is fine as I have found by placing temporarily a socket in its place and obtained perfect contact with cam and length of reciprocation.

I am now challenged with locating a few or possible set of the integral (more modern type lifters) for my 331. Also any tricks to cleaning out the casting bores that hold the lifter barrels?

many thanks ,

Charles

Thought it was something like that. Your symptoms did not match any known form of normal wear.

You mean cleaning off the sludge that holds the lifter from coming out? Good luck. Try spraying with carb cleaner or penetrating oil and working them up and down until they come out. Clean the lifter bores with carb cleaner or brake cleaner spray on a rag. Do not use any sandpaper or hone. A scotchbrite pad is ok.

I believe Chrysler used the same lifters up into the early 90s. You could check this by cleaning up one of your lifters and taking it to a parts store. If they are the same diameter and height and the pushrod sits at the same depth you are in business. Lifters for a 318, 360, 440 etc engine are all the same.

If the parts guy is too dumb to figure this out you might ask at an auto machine shop. Show them your old lifter and ask if it is the same as a late model Chrysler engine.

You might want to just replace the whole set if the engine is in good shape.