Pushrods and pre-head pulling

Guest CharlesinMaine

Guest CharlesinMaine

My 53 Chrysler hemi 331 had been sitting for years. Compression varied from 120 to 15 psi. . I also had a smokey whisp of what I believe was antifreeze coming out of the right tailpipe when the half running engine was turned off.

After pulling the airconditioner compressor, generator etc. I pulled the valve covers to find sticky valves as well as push rod ends alongside several of the intake rod rocker end cups. I assume this condition was caused by running the engine with stuck valves? I also have one cylinder with what appears to be a collapsed hydraulic lifter. I extracted the floating pushrods and have noticed that they are bent. As a newbie to 8 cylinder engines if the is any moral support, assumptions etc.. that can be shared it would be appreciated.

I do plan on now pulling the heads. What would be a source for top end gaskets, pushrods and hydraulic lifters for a 331 hemi if needed?

Is a stuck valve in the open position a probable reason for dislodged pushrods from rockers, and for bent rods??

Again, this is new to me and any help will be much appreciated and reciprocated.

Charles In Maine

Guest De Soto Frank

Valve stuck-open will cause push-rods to be floppy-loose; valves stuck-closed will definitely bend push-rods, if not possibly fracture cam lobe ( hopefully the push-rod gives first!)