CHRYSLER SPITFIRE 6 ENGINE

There is a website called Allpar that has a lot of info on all Chrysler products including ones related by marriage (and divorce).

They have a page on the flathead 6s.

Biggest most powerful one used in cars was the Chrysler Windsor 265 cu in 119HP 1952 to 1954. The same engine with 3 7/16 bore was used in Chrysler and DeSoto from 1942 up. They came in 236 (4 1/4" stroke) 251 (4 1/2" stroke) and 265 (4 3/4" stroke).

The same engine was used in trucks to 1962 and military spec Power Wagon 4WD trucks to 1968. It was also used in marine, industrial, and farm machinery applications. Engine rebuilders are still putting them out for these uses. Most parts are available.

On the Allpar web site there is a fascinating article on one man's 1951 DeSoto 8 passenger sedan and how he kept it on the road from 1951 to 1975 when the article was written. You will learn a lot from his rebuild of the car's engine and the results.

You will have to do a web search for the Allpar site as I do not have it bookmarked.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
I have a 1949 spitfire motor for sale, running cond. ,johnnyreb at 941-320-5949.

What are you asking. I have a 1949 Dodge Meadowbrook with the same engine. Not sure it will run.