2-tone paint on DeSoto Airflow? and opinions of value?

Question for those Airflow experts out there: Was 2-tone paint offered on any Airflows? At Hershey this year, there was a 1935 DeSoto 4-door sedan (Airflow) for sale in the Chocolate Field. Perhaps some of you saw it. It was light beige with a medium beige 2-tone. Although that color combination looked beautiful, I had never seen a 2-toned Airflow of any kind before, and thought it might be someone's creativity rather than a factory-correct paint scheme. (I'm not an Airflow owner, but am an enthusiastic A.A.C.A. member and an owner of an Exner-era Imperial.)

As I recall, the asking price was $37,500--like so many other cars at Hershey, its price was far higher than typical price-guide values. I would judge the condition to be no better than #2. To those of you with Airflow experience, was that price away out of line? (I hope prices like that aren't normal. They would keep lots of people from enjoying the Airflow experience.)

• 3 weeks later...

John,

I'm sorry but the people in the know on Airflows (club officers and folks they know who are Airflow experts) don't participate on this forum so your inquiry is not likely to get an answer here. I am an Airflow enthusiast but by no means an expert. You will need to access the Airflow Club of America's website and call one of them or email them from their email addresses listed.

I hope that helps.

I have looked at a lot of Airflow images over the years and I have a friend that owns a 35 DeSoto Airflow and I have never seen two toning.

According to the ACofA newsletter, Feb, 1993, there were two two-tones for 35 SG Desotos: Viennese Blue, with Black fenders, and Envoy Red with Black Fenders. Chrysler was more liberal with two-tones. My 1937 C-17 is the only two-tone combination available, Meadowbrook Blue with Black fenders. The 35's and 36's had three two-tone combinations. But, if two-tone, the fenders always seem to be a black. Hope that helps. Alex

Thank you, Alex, for taking the time to look up that information. Your Airflow sounds nice.

The DeSoto Airflow at Hershey, as I recall, had the medium tan (the darker of the two tans) along the side of the car as well, following a body line. Although it was attractive, from what you researched it sounds incorrect. I have never seen 2-toning of any sort on an Airflow.

Do you have a picture of your 2-tone car you can post here?