Pulling 53 Hemi Heads Advice Appreciated

Guest CharlesinMaine

Guest CharlesinMaine

The 53 New Yorker Sedan that I have recently acquired sat in storage for years. A compression check indicates 120psi on a few, 90 on others and 20 on two adjoining on the right bank. I am assuming a combination of stuck dirty valves and head gasket due to tail-pipe whisping after engine is shut down.

I have never pulled the heads on an 8 cylinder Hemi. Are there any quirks and or hints that I should know about? I do have an original shop manual and I will follow step by step. Though the engine runs I know now why it did not like to run. I have a new gas tank that eliminated the varnished gas and have replaced the carb and fuel pump.

http://www.techantiques.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album42

Any comments on pulling of the heads with the engine in the vehicle would be appreciated. I hope that its not rings and did not see any significant difference when doing a compression test with addition of oil. It could be sticky lifters, valves and or head gaskets. I hope. The vehicle has 47k indicated milage and a complete continental kit. Interior is as new. Complete with air!

This is often the case with cars that have been out of commission for years. Usually a few hundred miles of running with fresh oil in the crankcase plus a can of Rislone or Bardahl will fix them up. If the engine runs well, has good oil pressure I would try this first.

The one thing that bothers me is the low compression in 2 adjoining cylinders. This can indicate a blown head gasket. Is there any other sign of a blown head gasket such as bubbles in the rad when the engine is running, or water in the oil? If so you will have to take the head off to replace the gasket.

If you follow the shop manual you should be OK.