49 Fluid Coupling seal *DELETED*

Guest imported_BaronvonR

Andy Biernbaum has a kit that is complete with all the seals needed for around $100 I think. In my opinion I would change them whether they need it or not simply because you already have it out and it will be one less thing to worry about down the road.

BvR

Guest imported_BaronvonR

I'm sure he is not the only one out there with the kit...i tend to agree with your comment on the customer service....try Kanter in NJ

BvR

Guest imported_billmeyer

My experiences with Andy Bernbaum have been positive. Almost all the parts used in the rebuilding of my '50 Wayfarer's engine and drivetrain came from him. I had to return a heater blower motor that didn't fit my car and they took it back no questions asked. I guess some find them a bit gruff to deal with but they know their stuff based on my experience and deliver a good product.

• 2 weeks later...

To begin with , do you have the tools to change the seal in your fluid coupling ? Without the miller tool set the removal of a coupling seal is EXTREMELY dangerous if at all possible. The two types of seals used in this application both have very strong springs that maintain tension against a carbon running surface . The seal and it's mating serface must be in perfect order or you will have a leak. Secondly , the bearings housed internally in the unit must be considered. Then there are two runner hub bushings inside the bore in the unit that are made of bronze and should be changed . Think of these as dual pilot bushings. Typically the loss of fluid drive oil will be obvios because of the presence of oil in the clutch area ( other than rear mainbearing seal leakage) and the loss of response when starting out from a stop - similar to a slipping clutch. I have owned many cars equipped with fluid drive units and have changed a lot of seals. I still have my tool kit with which to do so. PLEASE do not be mislead by well meaning people who may give you bad advice. The seal should be inspected , just do not endanger yourself !

If I may be of further assistance please feel free to contact me directly ; gunfixer2003@yahoo.com

Evan Bennett

Guest imported_billmeyer

The fluid drive unit in my '50 Dodge had been lying around for years in a garage before I acquired the car. Previous owner had removed the blown 6 flathead and replaced it with a Chevy V-8. We removed the V-8 and completely rebuilt the original engine and tranny but had no idea what to do with the fluid drive unit (we didn't have the tools discussed in the shop manual) so we just drained and refilled it with Dexron fluid and let it sit for a few days. It didn't leak a drop so we crossed our fingers and reinstalled it. That was 3 years ago... guess I'm just lucky... have put several thousand miles on the car and the unit hasn't leaked a drop. These fluid drive units seem to be about as trouble free as any piece of machinery can be!