Leaded vs. unleaded fuel

Guest billmeyer

Guest imported_billmeyer

Ever since rebuilding the engine in my '50 Dodge Wayfarer (the old, reliable flathead 6) several years ago, I've added a container of "Lead Substitute" when I gas up with unleaded fuel. However, someone told me that these engines were originally built with hardened valve seats and will not be damaged by using unleaded fuel. I did not change the valve seats when the engine was rebuilt. It's no big deal to add the lead substitute but would be glad to save the $1.50 it costs to add it at each fill-up. If you've got the "skinny" on this, would appreciate hearing from you!

Guest imported_BaronvonR

I use regular gas in both of my cars.....1951 and 1950....I dont use lead additive in either car and have NO problems at all...no knock or anything and the hardened seats work just fine.

BvR

First of all yes Chrysler products used hardened valve seats and good valves unlike certain cheap products of other makers.

Second the heavily leaded hi test gas did not become available until 1954 or 55. Until then all regular gas was low lead or no lead by today's standards. In fact there were several good brands of gas that used no lead additives and bragged about it.

3d the cars that suffered the most when unleaded gas was introduced were the models that had the carburetors leaned out for emissions and mileage reasons.

4th the valve burning and valve seat recession does not start until a critical degree of heat is reached. If your engine is in good shape (and your coolant distribution tube) and you don't drive like a madman your engine will never get that hot.

So, it should be no problem at all. You should also bear in mind that your engine was made to run on gas of around 70 octane, maybe less. The cheapest gas you can get these days is equivalent to the hi test of 1950.

Guest imported_billmeyer

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I'll forego the "lead substitute" from now on. We did put a new water distribution tube in the engine when it was rebuilt and it runs at a good operating temp, even when on an extended drive... so no overheating problem. Rusty mentions that several brands of gas in the 50's bragged about unleaded fuel. Come to think of it, I remember Amoco specifically touted this. Thanks again to all who responded.

I was also concerned about unleaded gas when I first bought my 1934 Dodge. I contacted a couple of gasoline manufacturers and asked the same question as you. Their response was that unleaded regular would be no problem, especially with the low compression ratios in my engine. I've run many of thousands of miles since then and have experienced no detrimental effects.

Ken Sobel