Engine 288 cid valve spring keepers and valve timing questions

wagonboss

I had a valve spring keeper break in my 288, which then led to a broken lifter. Anyhow, the engine is mostly back together. I have three questions:

1. I got the replacement valve spring keeper halves (2 of them) at a wrecking yard from another 1949 Packard 288. The replacement (2 halves) seem to have the same wear on them as all the rest of the originals. My question is: none of the keepers fit nice and tight in the groove in the valve, the groove is wider. Also, the two keeper halves don't touch to make a complete circle. Are these conditions normal for this engine?

2. I believe my valve timing is suppossed to be set hot, .007 for intake and .010 for exhaust. I'd like to come as close as possible to this but setting them cold first, with the engine turned off. I've heard rule of thumb is to add .004 for intake and .008 for exhaust. Any thoughts? Also, when setting cold on this engine, what is the sequence of adjusting these lifters, i.e. per the firing order.

3. Anybody have a tips to patching a torn intake/exhaust manifold gasget on these low compression engines? Mine is a sandwich design, but it came off in three pieces.

Thanks!

Dan

Guest Albert

The keeper do not form a full circle, when installing them, put a dab of grease on the inside serface to hold it in place till you release the spring tension. it is also a good idea to plud up the oil return holes around the lifter while you do this, just in case you drop one of the clips.. Set the valve lash loose like you where going to do and then readjust when hot.. as far as the gasket goes try to get a new one, but i have driven my car for about 2000 miles with just the high temp silcone sealer, only because i wanted to try the car out and had not got the gasket set from Kanters yet. When the reused head gasket blew i decided to change bothe the head gasket and the intake/exhaust..