264 cid six question

• 2 weeks later...

Rusty, the number on the pad is---C52-7520-----my Windsor is a 52, would like to know the cubes?? It is the six banger. The engine was rebuilt at 100K but no proof of it and it has 146K now. Were all 52 Windsor`s 264CID??? Is there any other external way of finding out?? The mystery motor--BOO!

The C52 number is definitely a 1951 or 1952 Chrysler New Yorker V8 number. The Windsor 6 is supposed to be a C51.

The 1951 Windsor C51 engine is a 251 cu in 116HP engine with 3 7/16"bore and 4 1/2" stroke. The 1952 C51 had a longer stroke, 4 3/4" crankshaft. It had the same bore of 3 7/16 but the longer stroke gave it 265 cu in and 119HP. This was the largest displacement version of that engine and as I said before, the same engine was also used in trucks, industrial and marine powerplants.

So, your 1952 model should have the big six. All 1952, 53 and 54 Windsors used this engine as well as the Canadian made 1952, 1953 and 54 DeSoto six, and the truck industrial and marine powerplants mentioned earlier.

Rusty, strange about the stamping--being the engine was rebuilt, maybe someone messed with the numbers. Looks like it was never messed with---the car was purchased from the son of the original owner and he bought it in 52. I was told he was a Chrysler mechanic and that the engine was rebuilt at 100k, then the son owned it till 79 when it was sold to the guy I got it from. He sold it to me in 04. The car comes from South Dakota----maybe the old guy has got some factory freak motor? The stampings look original---would like to know the history on this engine---seems odd that it has V-8 numbers on a six???????? Thanks for your help-----52er

Funny things happen around the factory sometimes. Maybe it was one of those cars made on Monday morning LOL.

I have a 1951 DeSoto that is supposed to be equipped with a 251 engine (D15 model). Instead it has the 236 ( 1950 D14 model). I suppose they were using up last year's engines for a while. Funny thing is, the owner's manual says the engine is a D14 236 and it is the right owner's manual. So maybe the engine spec change came after the first of the year.