52 Windsor heater blower question

bebop138

I have re-cored the rad and heater core and I get good heat but the blower motor does not push much air. The low speed can hardly be heard and high speed is not that much better. The flap is open all the way and I can see that the motor is turning---it seems that it should push more air than it does.Is this the best they do or is there something wrong. Thanks

the motor is 54 years old.any lube or oil on it has gummed up and it needs cleaning.if the motor has brushes they need cleaning. if you are handy take it apart, clean it, and lightly oil the moving parts. that usually will do it because in your case it works, just turns slow. i am having the same problem with the one on my 54 windsor, but i just haven't had time to take it out. i had that problem with the convertible top motor and disassembly and cleaning solved it. dennis

The fan blades are probably choked with dust too. Clean them out polish them and give the fan a thin coat of glossy paint. You will be amazed what a difference this makes. It doesn't seem it should make much difference but it does.

Be careful to get ALL the dirt off, if you miss a gob it will throw the fan off balance.

Guest De Soto Frank

Does your '52 have the cores/blowers out under the hood ?

Make sure all electrical connections are clean and tight, and that there is a good ground between the blower motor and the vehicle ( I like to run a jumper wire, myself).

Even when in perfect condition, I have found that six-volt blower motors do not run as fast as we are used to with 12-volt cars. At idle-speed, when the generator is not charging, the blower seems slower still.

With the introduction of the '49 models, Chrysler put the heaters & blowers under the hood, with the air intakes right behind the grille. When the vehicle was moving forward, there was a natural "ram" effect that forced fresh air through the heater system... far more effective than the fans.

While not as fast and noisy as 12-volt heater fans, I 've found the six-volt stuff to be adequate.

Now, if your windshield gasket is shot and leaky, the defroster will never be able to keep the fog off the glass, plus your floors will rot... so make sure your windows are water-tight, and your cabin is draft-tight ( door weather seals and windlace; draft pads around the pedals, etc), and you should be fairly cozy.

I rather like the "silent" heating of the older cars... and my '55 De Soto had a heater that could run you out of the car...

Frank, ya your right about the 6 volt vs. the 12 volt, kinda puts things in perspective. I have all new fuzzies,channels,weather stripping, plus new glass for the windshield. I have a full plate for the car over the winter---wiring and interior work, you know the drill----52er