1937 C17 Value

37Airflow

Hello,

I'm new to this board. I'm not really familiar with the Airflow and wanted to know the value of a 37 C17 that I recently came upon.

It's 100% complete and even includes an extra hood, grill, radiator and a Fulton sun visor from a 39 Dodge. It has no rust through and is very straight. It's been in storage for 20 years and driven around from time to time until about 5 years ago when it was parked. It's not currently running, but should start after the engine is loosened up.

Here are a few pictures of it.

9-24-04%20010.jpg

9-24-04%20011.jpg

9-24-04%20013.jpg

9-24-04012.jpg

9-24-04%20014.jpg

9-24-04%20015.jpg

I'm thinking about buying it, but don't know what it's worth.

I'd also like to know how many were produced and how valuable is this vehicle?? I'm into 48-52 Ford truck and know a lot about them, but have no clue when it comes to this Airflow. All I know is that I like it's design.

Thanks, Ilya

I concurred that it was a C17 from some of the research that I've done. However, now I know that I'm wrong.

What can you tell me about the vehicle from the pictures? Is it a 37? Is it a Chrysler or a DeSoto? What model is it? Also, where would the VIN stamp or tag be located? What is the value of this model?

It's currently registered as a 1937 Chrysler.

I'm curious to know. I just don't want to overpay.

Thanks, Ilya

Ilya,

This appears to be a 1935 Chrysler Airflow. I owned a 36 C9 Chrysler 8 cylinder Airflow and the grille was different. A 1937 grille is more upright and has a grille section in the hood - 2 inserts that follow the grille style into the front of the hood.

C17's were long wheelbase models. My C9 wheelbase was shared with the DeSoto. I am not sure anymore where the VIN plate would be but look in all the usual places (firewall, door jamb)

Now, this car you have provided photos of looks very nice and original. The C17 was considered an Imperial due to it's added length. If you have an Imperial there, then the value would be more then a Chrysler or DeSoto. I don't think your car is a DeSoto.

Value is hard to determine. They only made about 3600 1937 C17's but that was the last year. Tell us what he wants and some of us may be able to go from there but just throwing a figure out probably won't do any good.

Airflows are a very small community. Love them or hate them but most collectors doing 30's cars are either the hot rodders or mass produced guys (Chevy/Ford/Plymouth) or the very high end classics (Packard/Cadillac/Marmom/Lincoln) so these cars just have a small audience.

I would say if it is a Chrysler or Imperial wheel based 1935 8 cylinder Airflow, then it's a $6,000 to $12,000 car.

I'm very familiar with how small te Airflow community is. This is what attracted me to this vehicle. I like low production, somewhat rare cars. This car is too solid and complete to hot rod, but at the same time, I don't have the funds to do a proper restoration. My plans are to keep it original, make it roadworthy and enjoy it as is for the time being.

I will have to do more research to find out what year it is. It's always been registered as a '37. I'll have to measure the wheelbase as well.

Your price range is good. I'm not overpaying.

As I find out more, I will post the info.

Thanks, Ilya

Guest JohnArthurSpinks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm very familiar with how small te Airflow community is. This is what attracted me to this vehicle. I like low production, somewhat rare cars. This car is too solid and complete to hot rod, but at the same time, I don't have the funds to do a proper restoration. My plans are to keep it original, make it roadworthy and enjoy it as is for the time being.

I will have to do more research to find out what year it is. It's always been registered as a '37. I'll have to measure the wheelbase as well.

Your price range is good. I'm not overpaying.

As I find out more, I will post the info.

Thanks, Ilya </div></div>

Guest JohnArthurSpinks

Ilya,

The Airflow is definitely a mixture of various models.

The body in general appears as a C17 Chrysler Airflow however it has been fitted with the hood from a 1935 C1 or C2 Chrysler Airflow and the headlamp assemblies are also from either of those two models from 1935.

The hood emblem appears to be either 1936 C9 or C10 as it appears longer than that which was used in 1935.

I think that it was only a matter of removing the grille assembly and hood from a C17 and the earlier hoods from '35 & '36 Chrysler Airflows could be fitted up.

The same can be said for the headlamp assemblies as '34, '35', '36, & '37 Airflow Chrysler headlamp assemblies could be swapped from one model to the other, ie bolt out bolt in.

Regards

John Spinks

Australia

Aussie C9 coupe

Thanks for the additional info. That is what I figured has happened here. Perhaps the seller has the original hood in storage as he has told me of an extra hood he has stored away.

I will be looking at the car in greater detail next weekend and plan to take lots of photos. Hopefully, after next weekend, I'll be able to pin-point the year, model and part differences.

I wish I knew as much about the Airflows as I do about 1948-1952 Ford trucks.

Thanks, Ilya

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From the rear view and interior it looks exactly like my 37 C-17, however the hood/grill throws me as its not a C17, but looks great. Maybe some of the more experienced club members might be able to explain this?? If I were interested in another Airflow and not knowing the condition of the mechanicals, I wouldn't pay over $6 to $8K for it.

• 2 months later...

She came home today! I found registration for every year dating back to 1963. I also found one, what I believe to be, original license plate from 1937. I'm the fourth owner and the car has been local for it's entire life. The prior owner gave me correct, 1937, hood and another grille. I have no idea if the assemly or even the grille is correct for 1937. I'd like to put the correct grille assembly and hood back on, even though I like the way it looks now.

Does anyone have a diagram or good pictures of what/how the grill assembly should look like and attach to the body?

37%20airflow%20007.jpg

37%20airflow%20009.jpg

37%20airflow%20001.jpg

Is this the correct 1937 grille? Am I missing anything to attach it to the body?

37%20airflow%20020.jpg

More pictures here: 37 Airflow

I'm also looking for the left windshield window crank. Mine broke when I tried to open the windshield. Also looking for the front bumper brackets and bolts, and one more marker light glass cover.

37%20airflow%20017.jpg

37%20airflow%20019.jpg

37%20airflow%20018.jpg

Let me know if any one has these parts and how much. I'll gladly trade up or down any non-37 parts on my car for the correct 37 parts of same quality or better.

Thanks, Ilya