Help- zoning issue in Stafford, Virginia

Guest raftel

After discreetly storing two cars next to my garage for eight years, someone has filed a complaint with the county - Stafford, Virginia. The gentleman from code enforcement was very nice and understanding, and from our conversation I have two choices to deal with the situation.

1. Put up a privacy fence, taking the cars out of view. My wife does not like this option.

2. Get one of the vehicles tagged - Stafford allows me one vehicle untagged, and putting plates on one would get me in compliance.

The problem with 2 is that I would need insurance, and my antique coverage does not cover a parts car that is parked outside all the time. Does anyone know of an insurance company that will write coverage for a registered parts car that will not be driven?

Thanks,

Robert

I would ask your insurance company if it would cover subject car if there was no comprehensive or damage insurance rider, usually they want the car garaged so they limit loss to theft or vandalizim. I'm sure the only insurance requirement by the State is for accident liability. does your State allow self coverage?

Any insurance company will cover the car - I have done this many times to keep cars in the yard in full view. You'll pay the same as any other older car to insure it, whatever it would cost to add the car to your regular insurance policy, wether it runs or not.

Share copies of the registration info with your zoning officer and tell him you'd like to keep the plates locked up inside to prevent someone from stealing them.

You may be able to allow the registration to run out, while continuing to insure it, I did that a couple times and ended up with plates on it I didn't have to turn in, saved a few bucks.