M5 vs M6 *DELETED*

Pat,

Your transmission in the picture is an M6, not an M5. One clue is the double connection terminals on the solenoid and interrupter switch units; the M5 units have single connections on those units. The M6 transmissions do use a circuit breaker; the earlier M5's have a kickdown relay and fuse assembly that was eliminated on the M6.

Doug

Guest De Soto Frank

One other notable difference between the M-5 & M-6: the M-6 has a longer tail-shaft housing: the longish part with the two bolt-bosses in the photo...

The M-5 has more of a squat rear-cover, just deep enough to accomdate the oil-pump, and the e-brake drum is fairly tight to the main tranny case.

The M-6 is approximately 4 inches longer than the M-5. ( I discovered this when I tried to swap a 1950 M-6 into my '48 New Yorker with the M-5.)

Doug's spot-on about the two-terminal solenoid and interrupter switch. Also, the M-6 solenoid mounts to the case at an angle (similar to the governor); the M-5 solenoid sits bolt-upright on a cover (houses the pilot valve) that secures to the side of the tranny case with four cap-screws.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let us know how you get the 6V +gnd stuff to work on 12V -gnd. I would like to know myself if this is possible. </div></div>

So would I.

I've heard those 6/12 batterys from http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/ work well, but I'd really prefer upgrading my system to 12V, with the negitive ground.