model 72 brakes, master cylinder

i am trying to make the brakes work on my 72. It has a non standard master cylinder. and my problem is brakes not releasing, caused by hydraulics.

the master cylinder has a valve at the end furthest from the pedal, which looks like a nonreturn valve.

Is my description correct, and if so how do the brakes ever release if the fluid cannot get back.??.

I tried removing the valve and had a slight improvement.

The other thing I have noticed is the hole in the cylinder where th reservoir is connected is level with the piston. I thought it should be in just in front of the seal so that fluid can return to the reservoir when the pedal is fully released.

Any advice will be very helpfull

Also, the original system had a pump and vlve in the reservoir, that could be used to pressurize the system. is it still possible to get these parts anywhere

the valve in the bottom of the master cylinder is a residual valve, it keeps about 10lbs pressure in the lines. If you have remove that and still have a problem with the brakes not releasing, what happens when you crack open one of the pleed screws, does the wheel turn freely after? Do yo have a hill holder on the car? which is another valve that is controled by the clutch pedal keep pressure on the rear wheels untill the clutch pedal is released.. also what happens if you disconnect the push rod from the master will it return enought then to release the brakes..

• 4 weeks later...