52 Windsor brake and rear end modifications

bebop138

First off I know some guys don't like modifications. I did it for easier maintanence, wear & tear & safety. First I put in a 1970 Ford bronco rear end, with the 3300 IBS axels-3:25 ratio, welded in the Chrysler spring perches and it dropped right in. Its three inches narrower than stock so I could use 88 Bronco 7 inch rims with 2:35 X 15 tires-you can use stock full wheel covers, it looks stock. Next I installed manual discs up front. The brackets were designed by Scarebird Mechanical, worked great and bolted right up. I used 95-97 Crown Vic rotors, stock hub fit on rotors, like factory. The old rivit holes lined up with bolt holes on the rotor, perfect fit! I used 81 full size Chevy calipers. These cross over to alot of years of GM full size cars, approximately 79-96. I used the banjo style brake hoses, a little bending and tweaking to make them fit for clearence. You should do all your fitting of rims, tires and hoses at road height, as if the car was on the ground. Stock rims will clear the calipers if the area where the rims are rivited togehter is ground down 1/16 inch at the outer edge. Alot of different rims and offsets will work. I used 78 Diplomat police rims. Lots of offset and plenty of caliper clearence. I did use a 5/16 in spacer so the tire would not rub. I used a dual master and porp valve off an 80's GMC 1/2 ton pickup. Gut your old master and leave it there as you need it for your pedal. Make a new bracket for the new master cylinder and install behind your old master, then make a longer rod and install thru the old master back to the new one. You will have to cut a small hole in the floor with a bump up cover for the new master. Mine sits just a little ahead of the seat--no foot problems. I have a good firm pedal and ease of travel. No residual valves and things seem fine. If there are changes I will post them. As of now things look real good. The car looks stock, you would have to crawl under the car to notice any changes. I have pictures if someone can help me on how to attach these to the post. Thanks. 52er!