1953 Chrysler Question About Factory Options

Guest CharlesinMaine

Guest CharlesinMaine

I am new to Chrysler ownership and have just purchased a 1953 Chrysler Sedan with what appears to be options , are these after market or was there a continental kit offered in 1953. A link to photos of this one owner vehicle follows. Any help much appreciated. I also own a one owner 53 T&C and would like to correspond with other owners. Thanks

Charles In Maine

1953 Chrysler Hemi

There were lots of options available for a 53 Chrysler. Some were factory installed, some were dealer installed and some were aftermarket.

As you can't be bothered to tell us what options you have I can't tell you which they are. I'm certainly not going to type out a list of all the options available in the world for you.

Tell us what you have and I can tell you if they are factory.

If you mean the continental kit they were a popular option at the time. They were available from the Chrysler dealer as a dealer installed accessory or you could buy them from an aftermarket supplier. The aftermarket ones are cheaper and far commoner.

Close examination may turn up a brand name or CPDP logo. Or you could ask the 90 year old titled owner.

was thisw the car on ebay? i wouild have bid myself if i didnt have want i want, my 54 windsor convertible. i used to have a 53 imperial. these are great cars and as far as options the radio and heater were an option in those days as was tinted glass. not sure about the visor, may have been dealer option. also, power accessories were options as was A/C, a very rare option. good luck with the car. dennis

Guest CharlesinMaine

Thanks for your reply. The vehicle is being delivered next week and has an encased rear mounted tire, spot light , wheel pants, visor, AC .

Thanks for your counsel

Charles In Maine

Guest CharlesinMaine

Yes, this was the vehicle on eBay. I was attracted to the vehicle because of the options as well as the small Hemi in addition to having just acquired a 1953 Town and Country.

Thanks for your comments

Charles In Maine

Chrysler was possibly the most "optioned" car in the world at that time. It had power steering power brakes power windows air conditioning tinted glass padded dash tinted glass etc etc. It had features you could not get on any other car including Cadillac and Rolls Royce.

Many of the features you mention are add on accessories, probably dealer installed Chrysler approved but maybe from some other source.

• 2 weeks later...

Powerflite auto tranny came out in mid-year 1953, it was optional - power windows were another option - these are fun cars to travel the interstate with - the way they are geared, it is easy to keep up with modern traffic - of course, the braking systems aren't up to stopping with modern traffic

I owned a 54 NY wagon from 1990 to 99 - drove it from Tennessee to Carlisle, PA for the fall car show one year - what a blast - I'd hate to make that trip now, the way gas prices are - that thing absolutely sucked gas, about 10 MPG

I have to admit, I think the fender skirts and cont. kit help the looks of this car - others may disagree, just a matter of taste, I guess

charles, you probably have a one of a kind car. the a/c option alone makes it rare, more so if it works. i am a 54 chrysler fan and i have never seen one of that year as optioned out as yours. i saw yours on ebay and loved it. i have a 54 windsor convertible, only 500 were made. i think mine is rare as it is completely original including the top. i drive it often and as far as i want. these are good reliable cars.they are not highly collectible so they are still a great value. i am knowledgable on these cars and have some 53 manuals. email me at captden29@peoplepc.com if i can help with anything. dennis