Rims for 1950 Dodge

1950Dodge

Looking for some advice on wheels/tires for the old girl (1950 Dodge Coronet).

The previous owner fitted Coker 215/75 radials on what I think are the original rims. The tires are "tubeless" but they have tubes inserted. I have had two flats because the tubes have shifted within the tire and sliced the valve stems. My questions are:

1. Can I mount the tires "tubeless" on the existing rims? It does not appear that the rim design is any different from the 60's/70's rims I am familiar with.

2. If the answer to No. 1 is No, what newer rims will fit on my Dodge, and where can I get some? Current size is 15 X 5.

Guest imported_BaronvonR

The answer is YES...I have used the original rims for tubeless mounts (Radials)on both my 1950 Imperial and 1951 DeSoto. The only thing you have to be sure of is if the valve hole is oval you need to be sure the valve stem completely seals...the DeSoto didn't and I had a few overnight flats.....so I put a bit of rubber sealant around the hole and have driven it a couple thousand miles and no leaks.....keep em original:)

BvR

Your car may have come with tubeless tires. They came out around 1950 and Chrysler was one of the first to adopt them.

When dealing with an old rim with a rotted valve hole I have done a repair by drilling away the ragged metal and welding in a washer.

You can also improve sealing on a rusty rim by sandblasting and painting. The paint helps fill in the pits.

If the rim is too rusty you are better off to replace it.

Or, use inner tubes made for radial tires. Get the correct tubes and you will have no problems provided they are installed properly. By that I mean the tire man does not pinch the tube or damage it. I have used them several times with no problems.

Guest imported_Bill-W

Goodrich introduced the first tubeless tires in 1948, and puncture-sealing tubeless in 1950.

Packard was the first manufacturer to adopt tubeless tires in June, 1954. The rest of the industry followed for the 1955 model year.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Thanks for all the info. I have what appears to be the original wheels with the oval valve stem holes. I have been to several tire shops and they can not guarantee that their "stock" fat stems will completely seal the holes. So, I would like to find some replacement steel rims, presumably newer ones from 60/70 chrysler vehicles that will fit my 1950 Dodge.

So far, no luck. I can't believe it is so difficult. I am sure that many of you have had to replace wheels from time-to-time, so I would be interested in any information regarding where I may find newer replacements with round valve stem holes. Either used or new, it doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Guest imported_BaronvonR

My DeSoto has the oval stem holes and all I did was get the largest valvestems they had and put some rubber sealant around the hole when they put the stem in...it sealed perfectly and I have not had to add much more than a few pounds of air each year....dont frustrate yourself looking for rims when a bit of glue will do:)

BvR

I remounted the tires on the original rims. I found an old mechanic who had valve stems that are designed to cover a 5/8 x 3/4 oval stem hole. He remembers when the tubless tires were introduced in the '50s, and the oval-shaped valve stem was designed specifically for the old rims. He has several hundred of these stems still on his shelf, left over from when he had a brisk business converting tube applications to tubeless. Just for good measure, I followed the advice on this board and put some sealant around the base of the valve stems. Two days, and so far, no leaks.

Thanks to all for the advice, and hopefully I won't have to get replacement rims. I do not want to deal with tubes.

1950Dodge