Stripped threads on Fluid Drive drainplug - help needed

Does anyone out there have suggestions for the best way to rethread and get a strong seal on the fluid drive drain plug. At some time the plug was strong-armed into place and all would have been fine had I not decided to drain and refill. It is in a difficult place to work and beyond the plug there is very little clearance. I would like to retap it but worry about metal debris getting lost beyond the plug. Is there a tapered, hardened drain plug that could make its own path and do the job?

Any advice is appreciated. I am going to think long and hard on this before I take any action so I don't make it worse.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and info.

Justin

AS I see it you have two options. Oversize, self-tapping plugs such as you mention used to be available in virtually every service station. You should still be able to locate one. Option 2 is to put a heli-coil in and re-use the original plug. No matter what you do, fill the flutes of the tap (even a self-tapping plug) with a really sticky, heavy grease and tap in stages. Remove the tap about every revolution and clean the chips and grease out of the tap. Re-grease and repeat until the job is done. I have used the system many, many times and never had a problem.

I will try the self tapping plug and grease it up good. I want to do this from the bottom to have gravity on my side and then I will flush it out as well. I am hoping to find out the secret of removing the bottom housing so I can move ahead on this.

Thank you for the help,

Justin