Is it a REAL 65 442?

Eric_Paulsen

I am new to this so forgive me for maybe asking a dumb question. I have stumbled on a 65 Cutlass convert that appears to be a 442. All logos are there and such. Definitely a real looking engine. I can see that it also has had some things done to it over the years that are not original. The question is how do I know if this was a factory built 442, or one that has been cloned with real parts? Which numbers or what ever should I look for? Thanks for the help!

It is almost impossible to tell if this car has been cloned. the only sure fire way is by factory or dealer documentation. Does it have the protect-o-plate? Window sticker? Maybe an original build sheet? Other than that, all parts can be added to make it appear to be real.

According to my restoration guide, it says:

A 400 c.i. engine with the color being Bronze

Automatic or Standard transmission

Four-barrel carburetor

Dual-exhaust

Front and rear sway bars with boxed rear lower control arms

Letter "A" cast on the front of the left cylinder head and rear of the right cylinder head

Special chrome air cleaner with 4-4-2 band circling the center

Special 4-4-2 emblems located on the front grill and the front of the rear quarters.

The 400 engine was built specifically for the 4-4-2. I'm not sure if the Cutlass Holiday Coupe or the F-85 Club Coupe had the little false scopes on the rear quarter panels of the non 4-4-2 or not.

I would think that the correct engine with the right date codes and the suspension would be the thing to really look at to see if it's real.

Guest rocketguy

That is correct about the cowl tag.

Remember, the cowl tag was for Fisher body to build the body. The body was different on a 442 because of the special trim. 5V is the code for the special trim.

In my opionon the hardest thing to duplicate on a '65 442, or the hardest thing to forge, is the 3/8" diameter fuel line. The 442 was the only Oldsmobile A body to have the larger fuel line. The fuel tank pick up is different because it has the lager line as well, and man that is one hard part to find. If a car has been restored and the fuel line is new all of the other lines are new, even this wont be a deal breaker, but on an unrestored car it is a sure sign.

On all '66 and up 442s they had a fuel pump return line. A/C Cutlass cars had it too, but a 442 W/O air should have a fuel return line where a Cutlas/F85 W/O AC would not have a return line.

• 4 years later...

Just stumbled onto this old post, but I see it needs some comment.

A 65 442 is easy to identify. There was no 5V on a 65 442 that was 66. The Lansing built 65s had a 4V that is proof that the 442 side scoops were added, but the Fremont, CA cars DID NOT. The quickest and easiest identifier is the frame. It is completely different than the standard cutlass. (1) it has 4 holes, only 2 are functional, where the upper control arm bolts to the frame (2) the cross member that has the top springs perches in it has a lip hanging down with a hole in it (3) the side rail is one continuous piece ,up and over the rear axle and the standard frame has a vertical weld where it joins the upward piece going over the axle. it is visible when looking forward in front of the rear wheel. (4) there are support gussets in the corners of the front cross member. Any and all info on the 65 can be found at 442BRO.COM