1954 new yorker,13k org miles, Where do I start the restore?

Hello,

I just got a 1954 New yorker that was in my fathers garage for 35+ years , not started during that whole period. It has 13k original miles on the car. I would love to do the restore on it honestly for 2 reasons 1 the fun of it and secondly I've had alot of people stopping by asking about the car (because it is has been front of my house for a couple of months, covered but they still stop to look) and they keep offering somewhere between 500-6K for it but I know it's worth atleast 10k because of the low miles on the Hemi it has and the decent shape the rest of the car is in, don't get me wrong it's not great because it's been ignored for 35+ years but it has soooooo much potential and I want to make it reach it. Do I need to pull and rebuild the engine first because of the long downtime, how about the tranny? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks ,

Robert

Guest imported_BaronvonR

I would start with the mechanicals....the brakes go through the engine...get it running smoothly...be sure the tranny is working properly, check all seals and gaskets for leakage and check the rear end.....thats what I do with mine...once its running fine and stops properly you can address the cosmetics at your leisure.

BvR

54newyorker,

Obviously, all fluids, belts, hoses and tires must be changed because they all deteriorate with the passage of time. The wiring harness should be thoroughly checked (including for rodent damage) and replaced or repaired as needed, particularly since your wiring is probably cloth-covered. Completely rebuilding the brake and fuel systems are an essential because they tend to suffer the most from dormancy. The exhaust should, of course, be checked carefully and replaced should any doubt exist. The foregoing are all of the crtical things which, left to chance, are most likely to get you hurt and the car destroyed.

Before you do more than this (particularly cosmetic work), however, please speak to an AACA judge who is experienced in evaluating vehicles for Historic Preservation of Original Features certification. Unless the car has already been repainted or otherwise "disturbed", you may effectively have a "time capsule" since the vehicle has such low mileage. HPOF vehicles are invaluable to others as restoration reference sources and are widely admired for their status as "nearly new antiques".

I own an HPOF car myself and know how gratifying the experience can be. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

if jeff dreibus reads this i would like more info on the original car certification. i have a 54 chrysler windsor deluxe convertible that is untouched, still has the original top,and it would be nice to get this certification. my email is captden29@peoplepc.com.i think desoto frank should leave his car as original as possible but everyone must decide that on their own.i am a real fan of 54 chryslers, i currently own the conv and a windsor sedan. thanks, dennis