1928 Chrysler model 62

I just bought a 1928 Chrsler 5 window coupe model 62. The engine doesn't turn over but it was restored. Brakes are dry. i am going to try and get it going this fall and winter. Any help will be appreciated. I have a 1924 Model T runabout that is operational(a barn car, not restored but mechanically pretty sound.Chrysler is a new experience for me.

post-47581-143137903601_thumb.jpg

You say it doesn't turn over and the brakes are dry. Does that mean the car does not start? The engine is locked? The brakes were never filled with fluid since the restoration? The fluid has leaked out?

There's plenty of help here for you. Best of luck with the car and keep us posted as to what you do. It's a great looking car for sure.

Ron

I haven't had time to check anything out yet. I think the engine has just been sitting for many years. The brakes evidently had a leak. I will know more when I get the car to AZ in Sept. it is still in Michigan. i snatched it up because it was in good shape except for engine and brakes but it is all there. I even got a manual with it. The guy i bought it from said the engine wouldnt trurn over with the starter but that could mean a lot of things. I will just have to get the car out here. it had a frame up restore in the 60s I think.

• 2 months later...
Guest Oldcar28

I have a 28 Chrysler Rumble Seat coupe like yours that I am currently restoring. Yours looks great. The interior of my car had been removed before I got it and sure would appreciate some photos when you get your car. Don't know what the area over the windshield looks like. I have all the pieces, I think, but am not sure how they go together. Also, the wood support for the seat back was rotted or broken and don't know how the three braces attached to the floor, (metal angles? or wooden pieces?). Is the running board material ribbed rubber or linoleum? You can respond to this message or email me at rayanne619@adelphia.net Would like to hear from you and maybe I can help you. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_Jaybird29

Jack,

I think I might be able to help you with parts !! I brought a couple of these cars home to play with !! Alot of parts will also match with model 60 !! Be sure you put 600 wt. oil in the trans. and rear !!

Jay

• 5 years later...

Hey...good luck with your Chrysler....this is the first time I have accessed this website and saw your post. My experience with ear;ly Chryslers goes back 35 years. I've owned five from 1928-1932, with my 1931 CI Cabriolet being the most beautiful....also like my model 72. I presently have a "62" and am putting it together after 20 years in my barn. It is incredibly similar to my 72 with the exception of the instrument cluster, windshield shape, a golf club door and a rumble wind deflector. Some thoughts that may assist. The brakes on our Chryslers were in its infancy of engineering in that era. The external contracting brakes are not that great, but when adjusted correctly, are adequate. The basic problem with early engineering is that the fluid lines and wheel cylinder bores are huge, so you are pushing a tremendous amount of fluid to each cylinder. My "72" and "62" cylinders were frozen. I soaked them in boil out and carefully disassembled, sanded the interior of the bore from grit 360 to a polish 1500. I then bought cups from the local auto parts store and fitted them to the cylinders. After cleaning and polishing the interiors and exeriors of the cylinders, the next job was to size to appropriate the correct guage of line. With that completed, the master cylinder and res. were tackled.....at best, after years of adjusting, trimming, checking for problems and correcting, the brakes work as factory which isn't that good in today's world, but much better than the mechanicals of its day. My 1931 CI and 1932 CM had internal expanding brakes and were much more efficient. If you managed to get this far, does anybody have the spark and throttle controls on the steering wheel......I need anything you've got. My steering wheel is OK. Thanks. Hope I was of some help? If you've got any other questions, I'm familiar with most every component between 27-32, as I completed all frame off restorations to exacting original. Many of the parts were fabricated from specifications that were given to me by WPC members.