Is this thing a car ???

Bob_H

It's a fascinating photograph, but I don't think we're looking at a self-propelled vehicle here. There is no evidence of any mechanism in the under-carriage beyond simple axles for the wheels. The "hood" seems much too shallow and insubstantial to house any kind of engine. My guess: this is a bunch of fun-loving teens who have somehow commaneered a buggy... attached a faux "hood" to simulate an automobile... maybe they secreted some fireworks under there to create the "steam" effect... and have created a fanciful and fun staged photo.

To me it looks like the wagon could be used for some sort of farm application for crops or as a bee smoker. Maybe it was pulled behind a horse and with the smoke spout aiming off to the side it would direct the smoke towards the fruit trees.

My goodness, I didn't know they had cars back in those days. I found a couple of poor quality pictures via google, but nothing so clear as I could compare. From what I could tell, those steam engines seemed more bulky than the one in my photo. I'm still looking for a good Roper photo. Thanks to you all for the suggestions. Keep em coming please.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It is a coverted horse drawn doctors buggy, as for a drivetrain I see a rope or chain going down to the right rear wheel. I know it looks like that line goes to the other wheel, like that of a straight rear axle but buggies had high arched axles. As for steering, the front axle pivoted on one bolt and it looks as if the guys in the front seat might be using a crude steering system of ropes coming up through the floor(hard to see in picture). I also see a possible turn-buckle holding the weight of the engine on the front of the buggy( probably has one on each side). Our museum has about six different power plants that would fit under that cover (steam or gas). The guy cranking the engine is probably the mastermind builder. This is a go-cart of its day and these guys are out having fun. I will try and post a picture of this exact buggy from the same angle and you will get a better perspective of what they did here.

Dan

• 5 weeks later...