Question on the Chrysler Straight 8; Take a Look

Guest BJM

I am considering purchasing a 37 Chrysler Airflow C17 without a drivetrain. Of course, I would like to find a rebuildable 37 Chrysler Straight 8 but that may not be an option. Who knows the running chnages made to the Chrysler Straight 8 over the years? Would a post war 323 go in a 37 Chrysler? Was it the same size in 1937 as in latter years? When was the design for the 1937 Straight 8 introduced and when did it end (1950?)?

Guest De Soto Frank

Here's answers to some of your questions...

The 323.5 cid Chrysler straight-eight was made from 1934 through 1950.

Some MoPar engines made prior to 1935-36 did NOT have full-legnth water-jackets around the cylinders: these engines are ID'd by looking at the driver's side of the block... if you can see the outlines of the cylinder jugs ( instead of a relatively flat block-side), then you are looking at one of the early engines.

Oil filtration: pre-1946 Chrysler flatheads have partial-flow oil filtration: cannister filter bracketed to the side of the block, with 3/16" lines connecting filter to oil galleries.

1946 & later straight-eights should be full-flow engines, the lines to the filter are 7/16" or 1/2" (BIG!).

Bell-housing/tranny mounts: should be the same from '35-'50.

Here's what I seem to recall being DIFFERENT about Airflow powerplants:

Intake/exhaust manifold

Carb (?)

Water pump ?

Front engine mounting

crank-pulley & fan

( Due to the tight space under that aerodynamic hood, some of the engine "accesories" needed to be modified... I remember going to a Show in NJ with my '48 New Yorker, and comparing the under-hood differences with a '37 Airflow eight that was there...)

You should be able to make most any 323.5 cid work, but you're going to have to find the appropriate goodies to make it work. Also, Airflows were all dry-clutch... many (most) 1939 & Later Chrysler eights had Fluid Drive: you'll have to find a "dry-clutch" flywheel and bell-housing...

Good luck !

Frank McMullen

Frank,

Thanks so much for answering my question. It will be tough to find all the parts I need. I was considering setting this car to the side (if I buy it) and accumulating parts over several years. I have some other projects that will keep me busy for quite awhile. Thanks again.