BUICKMAN AWARD

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest papaw

Dave gave me so much info on my 40. He was amazing and always there to help. He is greatly missed by many.

I'm sure there is an old thread around, but at the Colorado Springs Nationals, there weren't enough youngsters to have the more "formal" "Buick and its Parts" youth program. Teresa wound up judging Reattas, and Luke took part in the junior judging program, but Joseph was a bit too young and distractable for that program. David Corbin wound up spending the morning with Joseph teaching him about Buicks and answering questions. I'll be forever grateful for that time he spent with my youngest.

Does anyone know the hand gestures for the different engine configurations? It actually came up today in the Rainier, so I asked Joseph, but he's forgotten it. It was something along the lines of church and steeple, but you used your fingers for the different engines...4, 6, 8, inline and V configurations. This is one of those times you wish you could go back with a video camera to capture something like that...it was simple, rhymed, and engaged the boy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The prestigious BUICK MAN Awards for 2013 were presented at the BCAFer's Breakfast on Friday, July 19th, 2013 in South Bend, Indiana. A room full of forum members were present to witness the presentation of the award by John Scheib. This year's Buickman award was again chosen by the previous years winners of the award.

Hopefully someone took pictures of the presentation and will be posting them. I just wanted to go ahead and present and honor the winners here and to say thanks to John Scheib for his help with pulling them together and making the presentations for me this year in my absence.

So with no further ado.....

The runner ups for this years award were Robert Trail aka Shadetree and Ted Nagel aka Wildcat65. They were presented with BCA/Buick Man coffee mugs.

post-31987-143142036379_thumb.jpg

There were two Buick Man Awards presented this year. The first going posthumously to David Corbin. The plaque will be forwarded to his family.

post-31987-143142036381_thumb.jpg

And the other to John De Fiore aka JohnD1956. He was presented with a plaque and a beer stein

post-31987-143142036422_thumb.jpg

And I want to say a special thanks to JohnD for all his help with the breakfast. Sounds like he did a great job and a great fun time was had by all.

and as always, just to be nominated for this award, is to win. Congratulations gentlemen.

post-31987-143142036372_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143142036398_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143142036419_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Guest shadetree77

Thank you Lamar. I can tell you that a great time was had by all. For me, the Forum Breakfast was one of the highlights of the meet. As for pictures, John nominated myself and my Wife breakfast photographers. We used John's camera and took plenty of pictures. Hope they came out good. John will probably be posting them as soon as he gets home and gets time. Until then, here's a shot of my awesome Buick Man mug and the gift I got from the Yankee Swap. It was from Ben(FirstBorn)and it's the 75th anniversary Spam he got from Charlotte last year. He said it's been bouncing around in the trunk of his '50 for a year! We are going to start a Forum Breakfast tradition with this special can of Spam. Each year it will be signed by the bearer and entered into the gift swap. Passing down the Spam legacy! In a stroke of coincidence, Ben received my gift which included some Spam memorabilia. What are the chances we'd end up with each others gifts AND that they'd both be Spam related?? Great minds think alike I suppose....lol.;) I really did enjoy it Lamar. Thank you for organizing this event and thanks to everyone else who made it happen in Lamar's absence.

post-75106-143142036499_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142036509_thumb.jpg

I have to agree that the Forum Breakfast is one of the best parts of the meet. I just wish it was a little longer so we could talk to more of you. I did meet up with our friends from Australia and New Zealand later durring the meet. I hope that they had a memorable experiance over here in the States, and if the opportunity ever arises, I do belive I will head to the land down under. Dandy Dave!

• 2 months later...

I would like to nominate two people for the 2014 Buickman award. Mr Robert Trail Jr. and Mrs. Jessica Trail. As we know Robert was a runner up for the 2013 award. And I think still deserving of this prestigious award for the following:

1) Courage : in 2013 Robert undertook the challenging task of resealing his 1952 Buick transmission. Being of sound mind and stealth confidence, Robert disassembled the car and then the transmission itself and not only fixed the original problem, but a more intricate problem only discovered in the process of disassembly.

2) Perseverence: In the process of refurbishing said transmission, Robert embarked on a frame on restoration of the entire undercarriage, which resulted in dedicating countless hours towards a period correct restoration based on sound, and solid processes, which were based in a desire to "do the job right".

3) Engineering: In the process of said transmission and undercarriage restoration we found Robert in situations using unique methods to accomplish superhuman tasks. But not just any solutions,. Rather, those based on research so as to promote safety, use proper materials, and consider environmental protection. To wit, the platforms for raising his 52 Buick and the processes to remove 60 years of greasy dirt buildup.

4) Camaraderie: During said processes, Robert documented problems and successes with timely and continuous visual aides, and worked with other members of this Forum to solicit ideas and opinions and to incorporate the same into his process. I dare say, those who followed his threads most likely felt immense satisfaction as Robert reported on his first drives with his Dad and Wife.

5)Kinsperson: Through out this ordeal, Robert never lost sight of what is truly important, his family. In reporting on his progress it was always apparent that Robert has a deep love and respect for his wife and all of his family. When it was time, he would set this project on the side and take care of the important things first. Remarkably, he always came back to this project when it was appropriate, and fulfilled his goal.

It is for these attributes I recommend Robert for the 2014 Buickman Award.

And it is for the exact same attributes that I recommend Mrs Jessica Trail for a combined award. It is not only obvious that Jessica encouraged Robert to complete this task, we learned she herself participated in completing the task! Side by side she scraped dirt and grease, sanded parts and painted finishes to bring this project to a successful ending. She engineered solutions and researched alternatives. She documented successes and challenges. It was as much for her part as Roberts, that this 1952 Buick once again cruises the highways. So it is befitting that Jessica and Robert should both be awarded with the 2014 Buickman ( er..Buickwoman) award!

And this in no way should be considered a lack of recognition of the hard work, and positive influence provided by Robert Trail Sr. As we saw in many updates, Dad was there, pitching in with encouragement in moral and physical ways. Even when maybe he should have been resting. To you, Robert Trail Sr. I tip my hat and commend you on an excellent job raising a wonderful son, and congratulations on a lovely Daughter-in-Law!

Guest shadetree77

I'm speechless John. Thank you very much for the extremely kind words. I will make sure that Mrs. Shadetree and my Dad see your post.

Guest mstanleyfl

If required I send a hearty second to this nomination. I have really enjoyed living vicariously with Lucy thru Robert & Jessica's posts. Also look forward to hearing about their move north.

Edited by mstanleyfl (see edit history)

Guest wildcat465
I would like to nominate two people for the 2014 Buickman award. Mr Robert Trail Jr. and Mrs. Jessica Trail. As we know Robert was a runner up for the 2013 award. And I think still deserving of this prestigious award for the following:

1) Courage : in 2013 Robert undertook the challenging task of resealing his 1952 Buick transmission. Being of sound mind and stealth confidence, Robert disassembled the car and then the transmission itself and not only fixed the original problem, but a more intricate problem only discovered in the process of disassembly.

2) Perseverence: In the process of refurbishing said transmission, Robert embarked on a frame on restoration of the entire undercarriage, which resulted in dedicating countless hours towards a period correct restoration based on sound, and solid processes, which were based in a desire to "do the job right".

3) Engineering: In the process of said transmission and undercarriage restoration we found Robert in situations using unique methods to accomplish superhuman tasks. But not just any solutions,. Rather, those based on research so as to promote safety, use proper materials, and consider environmental protection. To wit, the platforms for raising his 52 Buick and the processes to remove 60 years of greasy dirt buildup.

4) Camaraderie: During said processes, Robert documented problems and successes with timely and continuous visual aides, and worked with other members of this Forum to solicit ideas and opinions and to incorporate the same into his process. I dare say, those who followed his threads most likely felt immense satisfaction as Robert reported on his first drives with his Dad and Wife.

5)Kinsperson: Through out this ordeal, Robert never lost sight of what is truly important, his family. In reporting on his progress it was always apparent that Robert has a deep love and respect for his wife and all of his family. When it was time, he would set this project on the side and take care of the important things first. Remarkably, he always came back to this project when it was appropriate, and fulfilled his goal.

6)Documented their trips in their car after finishing the work and sharing the wonderful images with us.

7)Asking the gang about the life change coming up. Daring I say!

I would have to agree that these two fine folks should be the early leaders in the 2014 Buickman and Buickwoman award.

Guest Mrs. Shadetree

I don't think I know what to say guys. After you've said all of those wonderful things about my husband to have you speak so highly for me as well truly means a lot. I am very glad to know that I get to go make you all proud as I contribute to the future of Buick.

• 6 months later...
Vote 1 for Mike Middleton (BUICK5563)

For being an all round nice guy and more importantly an honest car guy that cares about his work...........Hard to find.

If it wasn't for a small obstacle called the "Pacific Ocean" I'd be a client too!!

I'll second that motion! Where else can you find such a dedicated person to the Buick side of the hobby?

Guest wildcat465

No offense to Mike.

But, weren't we on the Mr. and Mrs. Shadetree bandwagon last fall?

I don't think there is a only one Buickman per year rule . We have had multiple candidates in the past. And everyone who displays the buickman traits should be recognized. Mr Earl always said: Remember, to be nominated is to win.

• 4 weeks later...

BUICKMAN.jpg

It's that time again, time to shout out LAST CALL, YOU ALL. With the Buick Nationals fast approaching, we need to hear your nominations for this years Buickman Award. This award honors those who go above and beyond by unselfishly providing benefit to the BCA wholly or to other members by providing material, technical or moral support. The award will be presented at the Forum breakfast Friday morning at The Red Lion Hotel at 8:00 o'clock.

In looking over this last years posts, it appears we have 2 nominations so far. And they are.....

Robert Trail and Jessica Trail aka Shadetree and Mrs. Shadetree

Mike Middleton aka Buick5563

If you would like to nominate someone new, renominate someone already nominated in the past or make further comment on the two already nominated, please try and do so by Friday June 6th. I will be asking previous years nominations and recipients of the award to assist in selecting this years winner. And remember folks, just to be nominated is to win :)

Last year.... John Scheib presenting the award to JohnD1956

tn_img_4657_original.jpg

tn_img_4665_original.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just finished the Forum "breakfast" at Hooters, complete with beer and fish tacos.

Robert and Jessica Trail (Shadetree 77 and Mrs. Shadetree) got the first ever Buick Couple award.

John D, John Scheib and Brian DePouli had a special award made up for a forum member who has never been officially recognized.

Here are Brian, Mark Shaw and John D. presenting the first "Super Buickman" award to member-in-absentia Lamar Brown aka Mr. Earl with a plaque and cape commemorating his Buick greatness.

null_zps6d707e39.jpg

Oh MY!!!!! Gentleman, YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE!!!! And I want to say from the bottom of my heart and in the most sincerest way "What the hell took you so long, I mean jeeze!!!!!!!................. Just kidding ya'll. Honestly I am very moved by this. When I showed it to Rita, she started tearing up and said how we should have been there. And I had to agree, I truly regret not being able to be there to present the Buick Man awards and now to have received this. Can't wait to read what is on the certificate. I assume JD had something to do with that and the "Super" part and now I know why he emailed me several months ago looking for a 54 Super script side emblem picture...right JD? You rascal.

And I love the Roadmaster Sweepspear cape. And you wanna know the weird part. About 3:00 Friday afternoon after working all day on the new garage, I had just downed a couple, well maybe three or four, cold ones and all of a sudden I got this strange feeling that I could fly. Weird, isn't it?

I love this picture and I love all you rascally guys, THANKS JohnD, Thanks John Scheib, Thanks Brian !!!! Now if you will excuse me I need to get on line and see if I can find some red leotards XXXL. I know what I will be wearing at the NEXT forum "brunch".

Just finished the Forum "breakfast" at Hooters, complete with beer and fish tacos.

Robert and Jessica Trail (Shadetree 77 and Mrs. Shadetree) got the first ever Buick Couple award.

John D, John Scheib and Brian DePouli had a special award made up for a forum member who has never been officially recognized.

Here are Brian, Mark Shaw and John D. presenting the first "Super Buickman" award to member-in-absentia Lamar Brown aka Mr. Earl with a plaque and cape commemorating his Buick greatness.

null_zps6d707e39.jpg

The prestigious BUICKMAN Awards for 2014 were presented at the BCA Forum Brunch on Friday, July 25th, 2014 at Portland OR. The festivities were held at the local Hooters and a room full of forum members were present to witness the presentation of the awards by JohnD.

So with no further ado.....

The runner up for this years award was Buick5563 AKA Mikey Milddleton. He was presented with a BCA/Buick Man coffee mug.

canvas2_zps866d544b.png

And the BuickMan award which for this year became the BUICK COUPLE AWARD went to Robert and Jessica Trail aka Shadetree 77 and Mrs. ShadeTree

canvas_zpsfc9da656.png

[ATTACH=CONFIG]260998[/ATTACH]

And I want to say a special thanks to JohnD and Mark for all their help with the festivities. Sounds like they did a great job and a great fun time was had by all.

and as always, just to be nominated for this award, is to win. Congratulations gentlemen.