new coil NO spark

I got my new coil for the 49 chrysler and hooked it and it still wont start.. I was driving it when it stopped running and checked at the plug and was getting no spark ..I replaced the ingition coil and still no spark .....i do hear a kinda crackle sound out of the volt reg when I try staring her..Im up for any ideas on why she wont fire...she's getting gas..new battery...org cap and pts and condenser..also the ing coil gets warm when i hook up the battery cable.... thanks Mark

I'd go straight to the infamous "Braided Wire" on the distributor. Also, I've experienced (and heard of many times) difficulties "losing" the spark after replacing an ignition coil. If you've got a known good coil--no matter how old--on another engine, give it a try. Only takes a couple of minutes--easier to replace than internal distributor parts, which may be OK. It seems like these engines have spark forever, even with cruddy old ignition parts, but when you try upgrading stuff the spark can get "lost." And once it's lost you can have a heckuva time finding it again. That "crackle" and warm coil sure sounds like a short... again, the evil braided wire may be the culprit. Good luck!

I found the problem, but first off a BIG THANKS for all the help this board is GREAT !!!

the problem was 2 things ..1st the plunger and spring had burnd up which is why the car had no spark and the 2nd was them pos wire from the dist to the coil had broke. I replace the cap, rotor, pts,con and replaced the wire and she runs great, getting a full spark. I got all the parts at Northwestern in Grand Rapids Michigan. thanks again Mark