PAINT FORMULAS

Ken/Alabama

Hello,

You might try getting together with your local PPG jobber with the original paint code and ask that they call the PPG color library. It may be a long shot, but worth a chance. If that doesn't work and you still have the original paint on the car, you might try buffing a few spots and have the same jobber use the "prophet" on it. This device scans the surface and when plugged in to their computer, will search for the closest possible match.

Randy Ferguson

Ferguson Coachbuilding

The clear choice for Z paint questions is Ed Spagnola at color-rite, who is listed in the sources. I have asked him arcane questions on many occasions, and he always comes up with a good friendly and helpful authoritative answer. An inquiry to my local Du-Pont dealer actually precipitated an argument that there were no paint codes before WW 2, things are getting a little wierd out there, Rolf

I have to agree with Rolf, having had similar experiences with local paint dealers. I couldn't even get the semi-gloss metallic black interior paint for my 1967 Mustang locally, not to mention a 60+ year old car! They have all the business they need with late model cars and aren't the least bit interesed in wasting their time researching obsolete paint colors. I doubt if most paint dealers know that there even WAS a Lincoln Zephyr prior to 2006, and couldn't care less!

I recently ordered two gallons of Darian Blue acryllic enamel for my 1941 Zephyr project car from Ed Spangnola at Color-ite. It's VERY expensive, but seems to be the only reliable source for obsolete paint colors these days.

Hang on to your wallet - RED is the most expensive color there is!

Speedometer cables were only driven from the rear axle on cars with factory installed Columbia Overdrive axles. Dealer installed Columbias had the usual speedometer drive at the front of the torque tube and used a compensator gearbox on the firewall to correct the speedometer reading in overdrive. Routing seems to be wherever the cable will fit, depending on the length of the cable. Attached is a photo of the routing in my '39 Zephyr with a dealer installed Columbia axle.

post-32768-143137895361_thumb.jpg