39 LZ Coupe Paint Scheme

Ken/Alabama

Getting close to spraying paint on my 39 Coupe.I know that the frame members inside the engine compartment gets car color,what I am not sure about is how far back to go with car color on the frame.Does the outer frame rails get painted underneath the body?

Not sure how much this will help, but I'll give you what I've got. Quotes from the Authenticity Manual:

"PART 6, FRAME

All Parts 1936 - 1948* Black

*NOTE: EXCEPTION, exposed parts of frame members in engine compartment, front and rear wheel wells, rocker panel inner frame members, rear cross members -- CAR COLOR"

And on page 5:

"NOTE: 1936-1948 Zephyrs and LIncolns were uni-body construction and were painted as a unit. However, frame subassembly was black enamel coated prior to body attachment and certain areas such as center of the unibody, both frame and sheet metal were not color coated due to inaccessability."

Attached is an ugly pic, but it is the original maroon paint on a '37. Maybe it will help some?

post-31207-143137894791_thumb.jpg

Another ugly engine bay pic. In this case, I can't verify that the paint is original, but I'd say it's better than 50/50. Seems to me the tranny "lip" would keep you from spraying too far down into the tunnel, especially if you are spraying from above.

post-31207-143137894805_thumb.jpg