Help with VIN on a 1940 Zephyr

nitenday02

Hello,

I am new on this forum. I am trying to help a man get a title on his Zephyr. The plate on the firewall is missing. Is there another location on the Zephyr to look for a VIN?

I have been looking at pictures of VIN plates on the Zephyr to educate myself, but I am confused. Does the plate on the firewall only contain the Body No and not the VIN?

BTW, his Zephyr is the 3-window coupe. He seems pretty confident that the vehicle is a 1940. Any, and all, help is very much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

Hello Nite, The plate on the firewall is the body #, not the Vin, it is possible to register it with that #, but it is not correct, the VIN appears in 3 places on a Zephyr or Continental, on the top of the frame slightly to the left of the left hand motor mount, on the side of the frame below the gas filler tube, and on the bell housing of the transmission, if it is original. There are many ways to ascertain if your car is a '40 3 window, here is a picture of a new 3 window, notice the door handles, hood trim, points on the grille tops rather than a surround ('41), and parking lights in the Headlight rims, rather than on the top of the fenders, hope that helps, good luck, Rolf

post-45990-14313789466_thumb.jpg