1933 Dodge Steering column length

Hello all,

This is my first post.

I have a 1933 Dodge pickup, I used to have a 1933 sedan many moons ago when I was 18.

The problem I'm having is the steering wheel leaves very little room for my over the hill belly. I'm not that heavy so I was wondering if it might have a steering

column from a different model. Did the cars and trucks have different length steering columns?

Has anyone had the experience of shortening the column?

• 2 weeks later...

I can't answer your question on the length of the car and truck columns. I do want to mention that Chrysler had several brackets available that attaches the column to the underside of the dash panel. These brackets were different lengths so the column (and therefore steering wheel) could be be positioned for a specific driver. You may have a long bracket. I believe I've seen about four lenghts of these.

Just curious,...If the column bracket is lengthened or shortened, then the bolts on the steering box must be loosened so it could be tilted differently. Are these bolt holes in the frame already slotted to allow for this? Never had the steering box off my '32 (yet).

Larry

I'm a big-bellied owner of a 1934 Dodge. When I removed the front seat I was happy to find that the factory had two location holes for the seat placement. I was able to add a few inches merely by unbolting the seat bracket and using the holes which allowed for the extra room.

I'll be at the Dodge Brothers Nationals in Traverse City, MI, Chryslers at Carlisle and the WPC this summer. If you're there I'll be happy to show you the setup. (I'll be the one carrying the Thompson sub-machine gun)

Ken Sobel

• 8 years later...