oilpump v12 1940

birger

Hello.I got an ekstra engine,wich I believe is a 1940.The oil pump screen cover has 2 small holes .It seems they have been drilled recently but I might be wrong.Can anyone tell me if they should be there,or should I close these holes.Thanks in advance-Birger.

post-43338-143137893649_thumb.jpg

Birger, can't imagine why anyone would drill holes in the oil pump cover. I think you should plug them. As long as the oil level in the pan was above these openings I suspose they wouldn't hurt anything but the purpose for the seal at the top of the canister and the snorkle was to draw oil from the bottom of the pan. These pumps can be rebuilt but many folks replace them with the post war style which have a separate screen and pickup tube and susposedly have a 1 gallon per minute greater capacity. In order to make this swap you have to flatten the bottom of the pan in the area of the pick up screen and modify the oil pan tray for clearance.

The part number of the post-war pump is 56H-6600. I believe George Trickett ( Classic Lincoln Parts) can supply a rebuilt pump but he requires an exchange. Other suppliers like Earle Brown and Alan Whelihan ( see "sources")can supply after market (new) high volume, Melling #19 pump of similar design. These pumps interchange with the Flathead Fords so are also available from other early Ford suppliers. Dee