Electric Cars

Guest EMF-Owner

I am curious if there are enough owners of early electric cars present here that would read and post to such a forum. I would.

You neglected to say what kind of electric car you own.

We have a <span style="font-weight: bold">1912</span> (as far as I know at this point) <span style="font-weight: bold">Rauch & Lang Electric Brougham</span>. It needs a lot of work, but is probably in better shape than my Model T when I bought it and definately better than my E-M-F. It still has the original batteries in the back bay and the original Motz cushion rubber tires which are still soft. Here is a link to a page about our Rauch & Lang:

1912 Rauch & Lang Auto-Biography on the SIACC Website

If a forum is added for electric cars, it should somehow be tied to the Electric car registry.

There is my $0.02.

Happy motoring!

P.S. We had the T out for the first time this year today for about a 3 hour drive. Very nice day here in Illinois!cool.gif

John

I think I've seen 5-6 electric cars at meets since I started going to them in 1961. Adding another splinter group to this site is not a good idea in my opinion. Now that I think about it maybe there were 3-4 that I've seen, there were two at Hershey in the early 1970's. grin.gif

I have a 1921 Milburn. 1937hd45 says we don't need another splinter group, it seems to me that it doesn't cost anyone anything to have another grouping. How often are there postings under the Franklin, Graham, or Milestone forums? Not very often. At least if someone did have something to say about an electric, everyone would know where to look to find it. I agree there aren't many electrics, but that makes it all the more important to have a resource where you can ask other owners questions or find parts in a timely manner as opposed to a newsletter or some such that comes out bi-monthly or quarterly. 1937hd45 doesn't seem to have any interest in electrics but why do you begrudge electric owners having the same resources that you have for your interests?

I'm not to sure your statement about not costing anything is correct. Maybe the admistrator will answer that. But couldn't "Electric car" or "VW" or "anyothersmallgroup" be added to the title of the post in the AACA general section. This is after all the AACA site. Yes, there is interest in ALL cars, but with so many subtitles things get lost. Maybe the discussion is about an electric car, but would be of interest to someone else with a car of the same era. You may see more discussion if it was in the regular section.

pughs, You TOTALLY misread the point of my statement!!!! You got your AC & DC mixed up. I don't bother scrolling down to see what the Red Mustang Coupe or Blue 1931 Ford Roadster Foruns have to say. Having too many groups keeps interest limited to owners of those vehicles. Having your electric showcased in the General Forum exposes interest in them that would be lost or kept in their clique of owners. grin.gif

I wanted to post in reply to your orginal post here because the way I had read it is the way pughs did. I didn't reply because I didn't want to get this booted to the Misc. section. Your statements about the number of electric seen came across as knocking them. (unfortunely this was a time we could have used audio to achive the correct understanding)

You do have a point about them as thier own little group not being "exposed". What may work is a little bit of a compromise where there is no general forum for the electrics but maybe a buy/sell and/or tech section where you wouldn't have to hunt through as much to find what you're looking for. Just a thought.

I just ventured down among the other forums, chose 2 at random. On 6-17-05 Peter G. ask if he should suspend the Durant forum. There wasn't even an answer until 11-3-05. How many of you saw the 1912 Maxwell for sale on the Maxwell forum?It would have served the seller much better had it been listed on the AACA section, had many more views. The splinter forums serve a good purpose if there's activity. I think the small groups would be served much better if they stuck to the AACA general froum. Who knows, we may all learn something?

WOW! Imagine my surprise when I turned on my computer this evening and viewed all that had transpired since I last looked.

First, thank you to 1937hd45 for the clarification. I see now what you meant but that's not what I understood when I first read it. I can see how there may be some disadvantages I hadn't considered.

Next, thank you to novaman letting me know that you were hearing 1937hd45 in the same way I did. At least it made me feel like I'm not crazy or a curmudgeon.

Lastly, I will try to stir up interest in an electric forum amongst anybody and everybody. I am fairly new to electric cars and I don't know that many people (which is one of the reasons I thought it would be a good idea), but I will go out and shake the bushes and see what I can do.

Thank you to all for the opportunity.

• 1 month later...

i have an original condition 1913 Waverley that has been in my family since the sixties. it was operable when parked. i hav e recently moved it into a new location, and am looking at it really for the first time. it needs to be seriously cleaned as it has never been cleaned since i can remember. their is some surface rust everywhere and the lights have a patina only time can create. i am in a holding pattern. i started to clean some surfaces and like the way it looks but i am afraid i will damage something by ;polish or wash. the interior has some tears on one bucket and some tears, wear, on the drivers part of the bench. other than that the headliner is perfect ,read filthy perfect, and the rest is all there. how do i clean this without ruining it ? i havent got my pictures together yet to send , but will soon. i need some good advice on storage in a hot place and all the other adverse things i am worried about now. thanks for any help you may have. i also would appreciate any model, make information about Waverley information you might be able to share. thanks, Berry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...