Need Help In Replacing Reatta Windshield

carbuff

My 1989 Reatta windshield has many rock chips in it. I found and purchased a good windshield taken out on another Reatta. The windshield molding encapsulation was damaged upon removal by a glass company. The glass company in my home town is reluctant to install it because some of the encapsulation is missing. Can I remove all of the encapsulation and then have a glass company put a new molding around it upon installation, or would I be better off trying to find another glass company who will try to add to/repair the original encapsulation? Thank you for any advice.

Guest Greg Ross

The encapsulation is exactly that, an encapsulation. LOF manufactured these Windshields and supplied them with the perimeter weather bead already installed. Some designs of glass use a separate and replaceable moulding-not Reatta.

You've experienced the down side of removing one of these windshields for re-use, a Glass Shop that doesn't know what they're doing! The removal/ wedging has to be done entirely from inside. If you're just hauling a windshield out to replace it the shop cuts all the bead off the outside so they can cut the urethane sealer outside before they start pushing from the inside.

Plan "B" would be to visit glass shop(s) to view what they have in 'aftermarket" replacement bead material. There may well be something they can offer that will work and look presentable.

That's the best I can suggest.

Same thing happened to me....a skilled windshield replacer can install it reasonably with a perfect seal using the materials they have access to....

cost me 200 to have him pop out the junktyards' windshield and R&R my old one.

Call around or ask local mechanics who they know who replaces them labor wise