who does a good job restoring 30's vintage wheelcovers?

Guest tigermoth

Guest imported_tigermoth

i need (ok, want) to redo my wheel covers on my '35 terraplane. they are chrome plated, brass skinned with the word "terraplane" in raised letters in the center of a recessed elipse in the middle of the wheel cover. the background of the recessed elipse is painted black. who do you guys use to rechrome and paint these things? i live in northern illinois and use A.I.H chrome for my stuff, but i have not asked if they rechrome skinned wheel covers. thanks. tom

Guest imported_virgilmule

My Marmon hubcaps have some pretty intricate designs and lettering, and were in pretty rough shape. Librandi's (near Harrisburg, PA) triple-plated mine. I am very satisfied with the result.

I believe my caps originally had a painted 3/4" stripe around them which matched the body color. When I finally decide what color the car will be, I plan to take the caps to a decal shop and have vinyl decals made to stick onto the caps. If your eyesight is REALLY good, and you get on your hands and knees and feel the caps, you'll probably get a good laugh at my method. It just seems easier than etching the chrome and painting the detail areas. If I hate it, I'll go back and do it the right way!

Jim