Hershey - Limition to 4 vendor spaces

novaman

Question,with the 4 space limit, does that include Dennis Carpenter, TIP, Coker Tire, etc.? Or is that another one of those rules that only applies to the indivdual members that make up & support AACA?

Reason I said another is the long time rule in regaurd to what is prohbited from the flea market states: tools, hardware,shop service, shop equipment, and service literature that is readily available on the open market as determined in the sole discretion of the chairman of the meet, the chairman of the fleamarket, or the owner of the premises where the meet being held, whichever the case maybe. According to that, since tools, sandblsting equipment, Reproduction parts are all available on the open market, companies like TIP, Coker, Carpenter, etc. Should not have been in the Hershey flea maket. The other year I counted 200+ vendors. That makes for a fair number of spaces.

It it fair to ignore these 200 violators then punish the 3 or 4 violators of say the rule which bans houehold items such as furniture, rugs, clocks, pictures, china, bottles, jars, ashtrys, glassware, musical intruments, radios, tellphones, light fixture, etc. ?

(Getting off my Annual Hershey Soap box.)

David, I have waited to see if anyone else would jump in and answer you. Since no one has, I will give you my two cents worth.

First of all, I am not sure where the hobby would be if we didn't have the Coker Family, Dennis Carpenter, NPD and other such supporters. In many cases the costs of being at Hershey out weigh the profits from the event for these large suppliers. They come to Hershey because it is Hershey and to show their support for AACA and the hobby. They are very important to our survival.

The flea market rules are <span style="font-weight: bold">determined by AACA</span> and are provided to all vendors in writing. AACA and the Hershey Region both want to maintain the tradition of the flea market. We wil let other events have the tattoo parlors, crafts, etc. That is their thing and not ours.

From my vantage point, the regulations and their enforcement are handled in a fairly even manner whether it is a member with one space or more.

1937hd45--"ban all parts and cars built after the 1954 model year". That thinking is what led Bill and Chip Miller to launch the extremely successful Carlisle events. There are people who think cars are all garbage after the brass era ended. The CCCA thinks all cars that don't fit their upper-crusty "expensive,impractical" mold are second class citizens. By your definition, my 1956 Packard would be ineligible, and the guys that carry 1954 Packard parts would not be able to serve me (or take my $$$). Carlisle today is as much a beanie baby and numchuck meet, with camero,mustang,corvette, 55,56,57 chevy parts here and there, and that's their show to run as they please. We in the <span style="font-style: italic">currently defined</span> antique auto hobby need to be together in a unified front for the good of our hobby. We need to assert our rights in the face of legislative efforts put fourth by people who do not share our love for cars. We need to bring as many young people into this hobby, away from computers and video games, or there will be fleets of antique cars being donated to museums who couldn't take them all if they wanted. I have been going to Hershey for 25 years, and I can remember when it was more of a "wood wheel" guy event. It changed. It grew. It grew because newer guys came into the hobby who don't have a personal memory of a "1909 Beesly", They wanted a '57 Buick like their dad had, or a 1965 mustang like they wanted as an 18 year old, but were lucky to have the rusty '51 ford hand-me-down. I personally am not big on the late 60's-early 70's muscle cars, I'm horrified that such tin can bodied things are worth as much as a Duesenberg J (at least for one week in January, in a certain southwest town), but--they are now vintage cars, and the men who collect them and restore them are more like me then not, and we can all still talk cars and enjoy ourselves at a meet.

Wasn't a 1956 Packard "expensive & impractical?" Especially it's torsion bar suspension & push button selector which was prove to fail? Not to mention an Ultramatic transmission which wore out at 60,000 miles & an engine with a bad oil pump? Isn't this a case of the pot calling the kettle black? blush.gif

"Wood Wheel" meet, I like that, that is a new defination that I've never heard before. A local show only allows vehicles with "Headlight Bars", or cars & trucks that predate them. Since the modern era cars have taken over a lot more year cutoff meets are poping up in my area of interest, both restored and Hot Rod. I don't care how fast your Model T Ford goes it isn't going on tour with a Mustang. grin.gif

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A local show only allows vehicles with "Headlight Bars", or cars & trucks that predate them. </div></div>

Do they allow '23 T-Buckets? If not, that sounds like a good show to me. Wish we had more like them, so long as there were enough guys willing to bring out their "headlight bar" vehicles. I'd love every minute of that show.

Steve, I agree that Coker Family, Dennis Carpenter, NPD and other are benefical to the hobby and I don't have a problem with the misc. tool guys. My issue is the rule that all these years that has been broken and not enforced. If these guy are going to be allowed, the rule needs to change. Maybe something to the effect of "only automotive parts and related tools for servicing and/or restoration will be allowed".

As for the flea market spaces, what is the differance between my money for say 8 spaces and the "commerical" guy's money for 8 spaces?

From where I'm standing, and forsee coming, I as a single member I'm allowed up to 4 while the commerical guys can have as many as they want. Don't sound fair to me.

The commercial guys do NOT get as many as they want! It is simply a process that has evolved over the years with some large vendors and some concessions for the good of the meet as in the case with GM bringing their rig in the last few years. These major players are like the anchors of a mall, same concept in marketing. Having them only makes the show better.

As far as the rule being changed, we looked at it this year before reprinting the guidelines but wanted more time to study it. You will most likely see a rewording next year.

k8096, yes, my 56 400 is expensive and somewhat impractical. at 82K miles my trans is wonderful and my oil pump is fine. The difference I might site is that I don't look down on nor wish to exclude) 1956 chevys or fords, or 1966 models,, or even 1976 models(although I am now old enough to say "that's not an OLD car, we drove those to Hershey to get parts for our OLD cars").

I have an idea, what if they put all the commercial vendors in one field together? You could have all three or four tire vendors right in a row. That could make it easier to compare prices instead of having to walk back & forth. Pushbutton, 82K on an original Ultramatic is great! I have a '55 400 with 48K on it & have eveyone telling me my tranny is going to go out anytime now. Do you have a modern tranny cooler on yours? I've been told that helps.

Guest Mark Golding

My Big peeve has been with Hershey not enforcing the NO parking in fields , By that I mean these folks that have spaces they use to park in while nothing is being sold in those spaces. I have been in the White Feild for 10 years across from me ther has been 6 spaces used for nothing but parking for the last 5 years and maybe some for longer. No one even puts parts on the ground and walks away they just park and walk, I have needed more spaces for years ask for the ones in front of my exisitng booths and not get them but these folks just come in the last day and park. That's what take up a lot of free space in fields not the vendors with a large amount of space but those space that are waisted.

I also think if your not there for the entire event then you should loose your spaces. Or let's say your there for set up day and you try and stay even through the rain and mud and have to leave That I understand, But these spaces that are empty and there are folks that want them and they don't get them that's what annoyes me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always wanted to go to that pre 1942 Show they have in Connecticut each summer. </div></div>

That was THE Pre1942 Meet on the East Coast and had a BIG effect on a 10 year kid in 1961. A quarter of a million doller soccer field redo killed it, and forced it to move several times. It is making a good comeback in Redding Connecticut first Saturday in September. grin.gif

Maybe I should have made that last statement read "as many an they want/need". I've been trying to get them banned or anything like that. Just beeen pointing out we have rules and we're not following them.We either need to follow them or change them as the times require. In this case the latter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As far as the rule being changed, we looked at it this year before reprinting the guidelines but wanted more time to study it. You will most likely see a rewording next year. </div></div>

Thank you.

One of my pet peeves is when someone has to obey a rule while others get to break it. I think there was a clause somewhere in the rulings that the chairman can make exceptions. Reguarding The commerical guys, they have gone from being the exception to being the "rule". At least I now know the rule reguarding this issue is being addressed. Thanks.

Gosh Bob, you're 55???????(or soon to be depending on your birth month)!!! I can remember when you drove on tours with your little girls in the rear seats (tonneau). Guess they're not so little anymore. I attended that nice little prewar meet in Redding Ct. for the first time last September. It was WONDERFUL. Just like I (barely) remember old car meets back in the '60s & early '70s. Over 50 (truly) old cars (all pre - 1943), including about a dozen or so brass era cars (more than attend a typical Hershey I'd venture to guess) coupled with a small (8-10 vendors) but quality (not a header, FI unit or mag wheel in sight!!!) flea market in a very nice, peaceful, beaucolic setting in western Connecticut, less than two hours or so from most anywhere in the metropolitan New York/New Jersey/Connecticut area. Ignore the fashions (though some attendees were wearing the same styles or perhaps even same clothes they were wearing 50 years ago!!!) and modern vehicles in the parking lot and you'd think you were transported back in time about 40-50 years. And one of the best parts was the social aspect - seeing and visiting with all the other old car nuts. All in all a very pleasant way to spend a lazy September morning/early afternoon. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who appreciates truly OLD CARS. And btw, Bob, I do believe that HERSHEY was THE (Premier) Pre1942 Meet on the east coast (and everywhere else too!!!) throughout the '50's & '60's until the AACA allowed the newer iron onto the field in the early '70's. From that point on (in the '70's and thereafter), I do believe your claim for that meet would be true.

My pet peeve has been the rule with scooters. I have felt that there have been a fair share of people that have abused that rule so that they can see more of the fields quicker. The sad part is that you have idiots who are on mopeds, mini bikes, etc. that are screwing it up for legitimate people (like your dad) who don't get around too well that really need the scooters to get around.

For the prices that HERCO charges people to park and from where they make you park, I can fully understand why people rent flea market spaces to park their cars in. David, you know where we park when we're down there, and it is a better deal for us to enter a car in the show and bring our trailer down, than it is to park and walk around as a spectator. That's another reason why we go down on a Tuesday is to get the better parking. Until that changes, I think you'll be hard pressed to open a Hershey program without seeing either my name or my dad's name listed in the book with a car entered. Between that and our $8 a night rooms at Fort Indiantown Gap, that is the best deal we have going.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My pet peeve has been the rule with scooters.</div></div>

And the idiots on bikes, especially the first day when they are not making as many announcements. Last year a guy on a fancy bike almost mowed me down when he came around a corner. I have problems with very painful inflammation in the tendons of both feet. I can't just jump out of the way. Needless to say I politely but firmly let him know that he needed to get off of the bike and push it and that he would hear announcements that bikes are not to be ridden in the flea market area. I saw him several times later and he was pushing the bike. I really think it scared him when he realized how close he came to hitting me.

So soon we forget. In the 1960s, and as a matter of fact up until 1974, a "Pre-1942" show was in fact a "Pre-1936" Show unless the car was a "recognized Classic Car". Well, AACA accepted 1936 in 1968 and 1937 in 1970 and 1938 in 1972 and then the dam burst. By this time almost an intire generation was lost. There was many a bloodied brow getting those 1936-1942 vehicles recognized in this hobby, mine being one of the most prominent. That said, and having been there, having my 1939 car reviled as a "used car" by the "old-timers" my father's age, I'm here to tell you that I haven't the stomach or heart to side with anybody who wants to revile the next generation's "love affair" with some later car than mine. I cannot support anybody who wants to restart that awful old War. Live and let live. Try teaching some of those folks to like and respect your older car. I can't necessarily say buy one, because I never did, but I surely do enjoy and respect them. I'm up to four of those same 1939 cars now and a the same 1939 wife. That's my thing. But I've been tempted. There was just always some other car from my generation that I wanted more. Instead I've got a '56 from the days of my high school youth and a '71 from the days of my crossing the line of becoming somewhat successful in life and at work. Let's welcome younger people with younger ideas and wants. What the writer above said about Legislation, Museums and soforth is so very true. Remember what Benjamin Franklin said, "We had better all hang together, or we'll surely all hang separately."

I was fortunate enough to be at Hershey last fall and learn what rain was. The stall next to where we were vending was empty until about 10:00 am on Saterday. About 5 mInutes befor we were ready to hitch up and pull out a car pulled in with the proper sticker in the window and parked. He parked in such a way that we were blocked in and could not pull out until he moved his car. Thankfully it was raining so hard that he lost intrest in the event and left after 20 min.

Why are people like him allowed to buy spaces year after year? Obviously he only bought the space for the parking and not to vend.

Bill