Took a ride in "Black Beauty" today ...

CBoz

Hello -

Those of you who read the LZOC "Way of the Zephyr" are probably familiar with "Black Beauty", the '37 coupe whose restoration was featured in a series of articles, and which was used to develop the ERTL model. Well, the guy who owns it, Chuck Hora, lives about 25 miles from me.

I finally made an appointment to go see him and take some pics for my resto. What a *nice* car and nice guy to boot. He actually took me for a ride in the car as well. Off the line, the car isn't terribly fast, but it cruises very nicely and is very comfortable, and once Chuck engaged the Columbia at 60 mph, the engine just settled right down. I have no doubt it could go coast to coast at 65-70 without a hiccup.

The other thing that was so surprising was how roomy it was, even for me, which is saying something (ask V12Bill wink.gif). Anyway, just thought I'd share the fun with the forum members. Can't wait to get mine done now.

Guest frenchy1932

Hi Cecil

By any chance the previous owner of the Black Beauty was Ron Souter? If it was I am the guy who had build this motor for Ron. Ron was able to show the car a couple of times before he past away. Let me know if this is the same Black Beauty you are talking about.

Thanks

Frenchy Dehoux Phoenix Az Work # ( 602 ) 257 8680 any time

black beauty.blah blah blah...we cant see our cars in the mag..but for 5 years over and over inane stories of 1 car...what is the big deal?? i think that was before mr. cole..took over..now at least we see a little more variety..no disrespect to the old guy souders who was restoring it then died..i'm sure he was a great guy....

jeff booth

sylvania