24" split rims

Guest John1918

Guest John1918

At a local swap meet I got a lovely 24" rim but slightly out of round. My friend looked at it and said it won't fit my wheels (1920 24" steel felloes) as there are 2 different rim profiles. So before I get it straightened does anyone know if he could be correct. At a glance it looks OK and I can't see any reason why Dodge would use 2 different 24" wheels.

Cheers, John

Guest John1918

Thanks Jan, I had to find out what 'clincher rims' were. I think they're what we call 'beaded edge' rims. The rims I am refering to are for straight edge tyres but my friend says the inside (larger diameter) rib that bears on the steel felloe leaves a gap all around indicating that it is a slightly larger diameter than normal. I thought it unlikely as it would mean that there would have to be two different felloe sizes for 24" wheels.

Cheers, John

John:

Remember that there were many different car manufactures but few rim manufactures. Dodge would have not had two different wheels but the rim you speak of could fit another car manufacture. let me give you an example. I have a 1916 Model t with a 30 x 3 1/2 tire. The rim is demountable and the tire is a clincher. I have a 1924 Star that has a 30x3 1/2 demountable split rim and it has a straight side tire. The rim will fit the T if you redrill the valve hole to line up. My 1923 Moon has a demountable rim with a removable ring to hold the tire on. Hope this helps and doesn't confuse the issue.

Guest John1918

Thanks Jan, I guess the only way to find out will be to straighten it and try it on a wheel. At the worst it will be good swap meet material

Cheers, John

• 1 month later...
Guest imported_RAH

John,

You mention a '20 with 24" wheels? Actually the switch to 24" wheels occurred at car Number 586869 in May of '21.

From Feb. of '20 to May of '21 DB used 25" 2nd Kelsey wheels. From May '18 to Feb '20 They used wheels of their own design with wood felloes. These were also 25". The wheels from May '21 to Jul. '23 were 3rd Kelsey with steel felloes and were 24" I hope this helps.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Guest imported_RAH

John,

P.S. As Jan says, there were MANY other cars out there with similar, but not necessarily exactly the same, wheels. Close only counts in horse shoes and hand gernades.

Rodger "Dodger"

Guest John1918

Thanks Rodger, it's starting to make sense now. The 24" rim I have must be from another make of car. The Dodge I have is about 520 000 chassis no. and as you mention should have 25" not 24" wheels. It came with no history but looks to have been mostly restored when the guy was killed so it sat outside for some time. Someone used the body for their restoration.

Cheers, John