1938 Lincoln Zephyr sedan restoration, tips from you?

Zephyrnorway

I have a 1938 Lincoln Zephyr sedan with the V12 267 CID engine

It is pretty rusted, frames are intact, bottom plate is badly i shape.

Is there a book available for the bodywork? There has been done some "restoration" in the 60ies, this includes some bad fixing, and it is not possible to find out what the original profiles under the doors should look like...

Are there also available body parts fore the Zephyr 1938?

The V12 engine i told to be weak in construction. I want to keep this engine in the car, what should I do to make it last. I have not started it yet, but it is told to me to have been running fore ca 4 years ago.

Is there an available book on the engine?

I will thank all of you fore having this forum up and running

Yours sincerely

Bjorn

Norway

Is there a book available for the bodywork? There has been done some "restoration" in the 60ies, this includes some bad fixing, and it is not possible to find out what the original profiles under the doors should look like...

"Are there also available body parts fore the Zephyr 1938?"

Yes, there are. Merv Adkins, listed under "Sources" on the home page, is the first place I would go. He is in California and has a lot of nice, rust free pieces.

"The V12 engine i told to be weak in construction. I want to keep this engine in the car, what should I do to make it last. I have not started it yet, but it is told to me to have been running fore ca 4 years ago.

Is there an available book on the engine?"

Originally, these cars would sometimes, but not always, overheat, build up sludge, and suffer from poor oil pressure. Restorers now get around these problems using modern coolants, higher-volume waterpumps and oilpumps, and modern detergent based oils. The fact that the engine is still in *your* car after nearly 70 years must tell us something about its durability wink.gif

If you need a picture of a specific area, there might be someone here who can post a pic.

scan through all the past posts on the subject, i did...learn lots..there are many very smart zeffernauts reading these....but you have to be specific and strike a nerve..or every one will read it..but not respond.

i have been though v-12s for a while..and the bad rap was uncalled for. there is no substitue for proper tolorances..big oil pump and solid valve guides..i recommend u find a copy of ocee rich lincoln book..has engine man printed in it and lots of great reading.

jbooth

oHIo