53 ESTATE WAGON WOOD AND FLOOR PAN

AROD

Hi, I just got a 53 estate wagon and need some patterns for the rear pieces of wood. also, I know that early chevrolet woodies share the same floorpan as the 4-door sedans. What I was wondering, is the buick 4-door floorpan the same as the estate wogon one? thanks

The floor pan should be the same (provided you are comparing Supers to Supers and Roadmasters to Roadmasters) up until the point where the back seat begins. The wagons have some brackets attached to the floor for the folding seat cushion, so they may have different metal contours there--not sure of that, but not much of a difference there, if any. The wood patterns will be the same for 1950 through 1953 Buick wagons.

Pete Phillips

1949 Super Estate Wagon

and other Buicks

I forgot to mention: Do NOT use a Super Riviera sedan nor a Roadmaster Riviera sedan for the floor pan in your wagon--they are longer, and will not fit! The Riviera sedans for 1950-52 have longer doors, and have the rear quarter window BEHIND the rear door, not in the rear door--that is how you can identify a Riviera Sedan. Also, the Super Riviera sedan is model 52; the Roadmaster is model 72. The shorter Super (non-Riviera) sedan is model 51, I believe, and the shorter Roadmaster is model 71. You can use those for your wagon parts. I know this from the experience of buying the wrong parts, and then finding out the differences afterwards when I was restoring a 1952 Super woody.

Pete