1932 lincoln hot rod

Guest frenchy1932

Guest frenchy1932

Hi everyone

My name is Frenchy Dehoux and I use to be a member of the Zephyr club few years ago. Those of you who know me I am as we speak building a 1932 Ford all steel body by Rod Bod and this one will be powered by a 1948 v12 lincoln engine that has been given to me about 14 years ago by Prentice Bacon in the Hollywood area. The engine is now all build and I am working on an custom exaust I also have a dual 97 Stromberg intake manifold ( Edmunds ). I will be using a 1939 Zephyr transmission.Smoothies 16" wheels powdered coated red with a 4 inch wide white walls at the rear and a 2 1/2 wide white wall in front.The interior will be two tone red and white inserts. The car will be painted gloss Black. As soon as I have pictures of the car I will be posting them on this site.

Thanks

Frenchy ( Doctor Detail )

Actually,the song is about a Model A with a 8 cyl.

Hot Rod Lincoln

( Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen )

My pappy said, "Son, you're gonna' drive me to drinkin'

If you don't stop drivin' that Hot Rod Lincoln"

Have you heard this story of the Hot Rod Race

When Fords and Lincolns was settin' the pace?

That story is true, I'm here to say

I was drivin' that Model A

It's got a Lincoln motor and it's really souped up

That Model A Vitimix makes it look like a pup

[color:\\"red\\"]It's got eight cylinders , uses them all

It's got overdrive, just won't stall

With a four-barrel carb and a dual exhaust

And four-eleven gears you can really get lost

It's got safety tubes, but I ain't scared

The brakes are good, tires fair

Pulled out of San Pedro late one night

The moon and the stars was shinin' bright

We was drivin' up Grapevine Hill

Passing cars like they was standing still

All of a sudden in a wink of an eye

A Cadillac sedan passed us by

I said, "Boys, that's a mark for me!"

By then the tail light was all you could see

Now the fellas was ribbin' me for bein' behind

So I thought I'd make the Lincoln unwind

Took my foot off the gas and man alive

I shoved it on down into overdrive

Wound it up to a hundred and ten

My speedometer said that I hit top end

My foot was glued like lead to the floor

That's all there is and there ain't no more

Now, the boys all thought I'd lost my sense

And telephone poles looked like a picket fence

They said, "Slow down! I see spots!"

The lines on the road just look like dots

Took a corner; sideswiped a truck

Crossed my fingers just for luck

My fenders was clickin' the guardrail posts

The guy beside me was white as a ghost

Smoke was comin' from out of the back

When I started to gain on that Cadillac.

Knew I could catch him, I thought I could pass

Don't you know by then we'd be low on gas?

We had flames comin' from out of the side

Feel the tension, Man! What a ride!

I said, "Look out, boys, I've got a license to fly!"

And that Caddy pulled over and let us by

Now all of a sudden she started to knockin'

And down in the dips she started to rockin'

I looked in my mirror; a red light was blinkin'

The cops was after my Hot Rod Lincoln!

They arrested me and they put me in jail

And called my pappy to throw my bail

And he said, "Son, you're gonna' drive me to drinkin'

If you don't stop drivin' that Hot ... Rod ... Lincoln!"

I actually bought my Lincoln to build a A-Bone with the V12,but the car is way to clean to part out.....unless nobody buys it.It just may go under the knife after all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually,the song is about a Model A with a 8 cyl.

Hot Rod Lincoln

( Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen )</div></div>

The Commander must have changed the lyrics... Read on. (from the Website: http://www.lincoln-club.org/hot-rod-lincoln.html)

"Hot Rod Lincoln - The Car & The Song

The creator of Hot Rod Lincoln is Charlie Ryan. He fashioned both the car and the song.

Charlie Ryan is a musician, songwriter and a car guy. In the late 1940s, he purchased a used 1941 Lincoln Zephyr four-door sedan. After a couple of years, he decided to make a hot rod out of it. He removed the Zephyr body, cut two feet off the frame to shorten the wheelbase and dropped a 1930 Ford Model A coupe body on it. At first, the car was painted black with red wheels. Charlie installed a '48 V-12 engine in it along with the 3 speed + overdrive '48 transmission. The car has a lot of Lincoln touches on it, including cut-down Zephyr bumpers, a Lincoln emblem on the radiator, an the Lincoln greyhound radiator ornament. The interior has a narrowed '41 Zephyr dashboard. At first, the car was painted black with red wheels. Later, in 1960, the car was repainted red. It was repainted again in 1986 in Datsun Z-car red. Charlie says, "The paint's the only Japanese thing on it."

While he was working on the car, Charlie was thinking about the song. By the early 1950s, he had the lyrics worked out and began performing it. Charlie Ryan recorded 'Hot Rod Lincoln' in 1955; it was released as a single by Souvenir Records in 1957. It became a major hit in many regions of the United States. While traveling to perform, Charlie and his wife Ruthie often took the Hot Rod Lincoln on tour. By 1960, it needed another engine. Charlie installed a 1939 Lincoln V-12. It's still powering the car today.

Other car songs were written before Charlie's, everything from 'My Merry Oldsmobile' (1903) to Jackie Brentson's 'Rocket 88' (1951 - and, with Ike Turner on keyboard, it's considered by many to be the very first rock n' roll song). But 'Hot Rod Lincoln' was the first car song to become a major hit and make the Billboard top ten list.

'Hot Rod Lincoln' has been performed by many artists - Johnny Bond had a regional hit with the song in 1959; Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen covered it in 1972. In the 80s, Asleep At The Wheel did a very nice version. In 1995, Jim Varney (Ernest) recorded a cover which was used in 'The Beverly Hillbillies' movie.

Today, at 83 years old, Charlie Ryan is semi-retired - but he still occasionally performs the song. The photo above was taken at the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club's 1994 National Meet in Silverdale, Washington. Charlie brought the car and gave a live performance of 'Hot Rod Lincoln' - to the cheers of a room filled with over 300 Lincoln enthusiasts. Charlie and Ruthie (married 62 years) have been awarded lifetime memberships in our Club."

i have a copy of the commander cody version of hot rod lincoln and he did change the 12 cylinders to 8 cylinders. the song is on a cd put out by car and driver cool.gif called car songs. it also includes rocket 88, thunder road, gto, 409, route 66, maybelline and hopped up model a. david