Horn problems.

no more

the horns on my car do not work...they are shorted. power is supposed to vibrate the tin, with points open and close..the "tower" that controls it..seems to be the source....does anyone rebuild these things/....can i buy a better horn motor for my trumpet housings....any body got a set of clam shell..horns to sell cheap for the guts??

jeff

sylvania oh

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jeff,

I'm assuming that you have the original "Trumpet" horns on your car. They are probably not shorted. Thsy are adjustable. Try turning the screw on the back of the horn in or out until the diaphragm vibrates. You might have to file the contact points to clean them up. These horns should last forever unless they have been severely overused, but they will quit working if not used every once in a while. The horns on my '39 Zephyr didn't work when I got the car but a little adjustment brought them back to semi-life. They're a little weak, but they DO work. (The trumpet horns on my'47 Continental work REALLY well on 12 volts).

I assume that your horn relay is working.

I have a pile of "clamshell" horns but they are all 12 volts and I don't think that their innards would be adaptable to the trumpet horns.

Good luck!