FS - 1956 Lincoln Continental Mark II

[color:\\"blue\\"] 1956 Lincoln Continental Mark II ? Very Rare Gem!!!

$69,995

The Mark II cost $10,000 (in 1956 dollars) when new. Only 2550 were manufactured in 1956. This car is equipped with power brakes, steering, windows, seats, and has optional air conditioning. The original owner was John Daly of TV's "What's My Line." With only 20,000 original miles, it has an AACA 2004 East Coast Concours win as well as many local show firsts. Very rare and collectible, this car drives as well as it shows. Vehicle located in New Hope, PA.

Contact : joel@FineRareAutos.com or call 757-467-5894 or 757-748-8362

post-43941-143137889929_thumb.jpg

First, it is not a Lincoln. Continental was a separate division of Ford Motor Company and had nothing to do with Lincoln except the ability to raid its parts bins. The only place it says Lincoln on the Mark II is on the washer bottle.

It is indeed a rare car with 20,000 miles. However, the real rare ones are the '57s as only 444 were made. There were 2,550 '56s made.

$70K seems a fair price as an LCOC member spent $180K restoring one. Compared to other luxury brands the Mark II is undervalued, but that could change. I think that part of the reason they haven't kept up is that so many of them survive.

Celebrity names help the price a little but at $10K most everybody that bought them was a public figure of some type. The exception being Elvis' white Mark II. It's worth a bundle as are the other Mark II convertibles. I'm still looking for the Mark II hardtop Retractable prototype.

If anyone has questions about the Mark II, please visit the michiganlcoc.org web site and look at the articles and have your questions answered on the Lincoln Forum. There are several of us Mark II owners there.

Barry

'56 Mark II convertible

Continental Collection

Dear Barry,My Dad and i restored a 1937 Ford Phaeton in the late 90s,the ONLY place it said Ford was on the gauge cluster it doesn't make it any less a FORD. I am restoring a 39 Lincoln Zephyr coupe now and the ONLY place it says Lincoln is a piece of trim beneath the trunk handle,2 cloisonne emblems on each side of the hood and the horn button it doesn't make it any less a Lincoln.YOU sir have what has ALWAYS been known as a Lincoln Mark II,NOTHING more NOTHING less.diz smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YOU sir have what has ALWAYS been known as a Lincoln Mark II,NOTHING more NOTHING less.diz smile.gif </div></div>

I respectfully disagree with you. It may be a Ford but it is not a Lincoln. Ask around. I think you'll find I'm right. Believe me, those that shelled out 10 grand wanted no association with Lincoln. Continental distanced itself from Lincoln at every opportunity. I have sifted through the entire Continental Division paper archives held at the Benson Ford Research Library and I can assure you that there is no connection between Lincoln and Continental.

The Mark II was originally conceived as a V-12. The only reason the Mark II has a Lincoln drive train is that a low production V-12 would have killed any hopes for profits. Turns out there weren't any anyway.

Anyone care to back me up?

web page

"There is an American precedent for reuse of sequential model numbers, the Lincoln Continental Mark III/IV/V. Many never knew that the legendary '56-'57 Continental Mark II was considered a separate make from the lesser Lincolns, built by Ford's short-lived Continental Division; many more have forgotten that the Mark II was immediately followed by a Mark III ('58), Mark IV ('59) and Mark V ('60). These cars were also technically considered a separate make, although Ford gave the formerly exclusive Continental franchise to all Lincoln dealers after the '58 model year, and phased out Continental Division in early '58, merging Mercury, Edsel, Lincoln and Continental divisions into what was briefly called M-E-L Division, reverting to Lincoln-Mercury Division after Edsel's demise in late '59. These Marks were more deluxe versions of the existing Lincoln models and, like the more distinctive Mark II, were always considered "Lincoln Continentals" by the general public. (One could even say that Chrysler was more successful in establishing Imperial as a separate make than Ford was in separating Continental from Lincoln!) The classic suicide-door model introduced in '61 carried the name "Lincoln Continental", not only elegantly simplifying the Lincoln model lineup but accepting the unbreakable link of these names in the public mind."