Needed: Steering Wheel for 46 Coupe

Guest boblove

Guest boblove

I realize this is a unique vehicle, but do we need to try to complete our retirement funding by selling parts to each other? I sure could use a nice (no concours needed) steering wheel for my 46 coupe but I will cover mine with an aftermarket leather wrap before I pay some of the prices people are asking for cracked and otherwise not so nice units! Anybody got a half-way decent unit for a reasonable price? Please excuse my cynical attitude, but I am getting a little tired of this Barrett-Jackson attitude toward my hobby!

my 41 lz has a 46 or later steering wheel that has been painted. it is in fairly good shape. i am having a 41 wheel recast in pennsylvania. it should be ready in may or june. i notice in hemmings that several people advertise to repair and paint steering wheels for $200 or less. if you are interested let me know. i have attached photo of wheel. david davis

post-42668-143137888572_thumb.jpg

Hello David,

I just acquired a "field fresh" 1941 Zephyr convertible and I need (among a LOT of other things) a re-cast steering wheel (see attachment). I'm not in a hurry, so please email me at kcd@texas.net when you get your wheel back from PA and I'll probably be ready to try having mine done as well.

By the way, the car came out of South Dakota by way of Oklahoma.

Thanks,

post-32768-14313788858_thumb.jpg

my car was delivered to fred jones lincoln mercury in oklahoma city and was shipped december 5, 1940. i believe it has been in oklahoma its whole life. a doctor in covington oklahoma was the first owner. you can see pictures of my car in an earlier post. i am anxious to get my steering wheel back. david

I am sure the re-cast steering wheel will be a huge success, a while back I heard of some stuff called POR15, a kind of epoxy that is touted to fix wheels just fine, and was recommended even by some on this forum, so I sprang for some at pretty hefty prices, and rebuilt a badly cracked '41 steering wheel. I must have got a bad batch, or didn't hold my mouth right when I applied it, because it was a total disaster, in a very short time the stuff lifted, cracked and split beyond belief, so I laboriously removed every last trace, and did it over with Bondo, the body mans friend, it's back on the car now, and so far so good, but I will hold off recommending that method for a time yet, to review the result in the fullness of time, but be wary of POR15, just one mans experience, in lieu of soybeans, Rolf

Some years ago Dan Krehbiel and I were discussing repairing cracked early Ford steering wheels. Dsn said that he had used "bowling ball compound" with some success. This was a LONG time ago and I don't remember anything more about the discussion. It might be worth looking into but I have NO idea what "bowling ball compound" is, where to get it, or how to use it. It does sound interesting if you say it fast enough though. I can't remember inportant stuff any more, but trivia? No problem!