Correct Model?

Guest 28Studelover

Guest 28Studelover

Hello!

I have just bought my life-long dream car...A Studebaker! (See picture) It is in pretty good running condition. Of coarse it needs to be rebuilt, but there is absolutely no rust on the body anywhere! The most serious thing is some kid had fun with a pellet gun with all the windows! Anyway, I am wondering if anybody has any information as to if there a site where I may find any info on the history of my car?

The serial No, is 4069807. There is a # on the top of the motor cast in the head. It is: 112588-1 H*9*18. What would this number be? The body tag reads: GHW-3 5456. But when I look in the Master Catalog of chassis parts, there are models: GE, GL, GJ,I do not see any parts for a GH. Does anyone know what this means? Am I suppose to refer to one of the others for identifying parts?

Thanks!

Donald Terrien

Green Bay, WI

post-40131-14313788743_thumb.jpg

Donald,

The GH was a new 1928 1/2 series introduced in July of 1928. These were the last Studebakers to use the 354 CI "Big Six". The 112588 would be a head part number. The H 9 18 is a date code 9/18/1928. GHW-3 indicates the body to be a GH series sedan, with the 5456 being a body number. And yes, I do see that the GH is not covered in the 1928-1940 Chassis parts catalog. This catalog does not seem to cover the "BIg Six" powered cars.

Joel

Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello!

I have just bought my life-long dream car...A Studebaker! (See picture) It is in pretty good running condition. Of coarse it needs to be rebuilt, but there is absolutely no rust on the body anywhere! The most serious thing is some kid had fun with a pellet gun with all the windows! Anyway, I am wondering if anybody has any information as to if there a site where I may find any info on the history of my car?

The serial No, is 4069807. There is a # on the top of the motor cast in the head. It is: 112588-1 H*9*18. What would this number be? The body tag reads: GHW-3 5456. But when I look in the Master Catalog of chassis parts, there are models: GE, GL, GJ,I do not see any parts for a GH. Does anyone know what this means? Am I suppose to refer to one of the others for identifying parts?

Thanks!

Donald Terrien

Green Bay, WI </div></div>

First, the serial number : 4069807

It falls into the sequence 4062101 to 4070364, which was for the early series 1929 Commander Six, model GH. (The later 1929 Commander Six was model GJ). The GH was on a 121" wheelbase while the GJ was on a 120" wheelbase. Yours was the 7,707th model GH built at South Bend.

The GH Commander was in production from June 1928 through October, 1928. A total of 8,264 were built at South Bend, Indiana, plus 164 at Walkerville, Ontario. Some lists show the GH as a 1928 model, but the marketing people called it a 1929 as it was sold to the public after July 1st.

The engine was a flathead six, 3-7/8" bore with 5" stroke for 353.8-cid, with 85-bhp at 2400 rpm, and was carried over frpm the Commander model GB, th predecessor of the GH.

The "GHW-3 5456" is the body plate :

GH - Commander Six

W - 5-passenger, 4-door sedan

3 - Regal sub-series

5,456th 4-door sedan (W-3) body built

American prices for the GH models :

GHW-1 : 4-door regular sedan - $1,325, weight - 3,235 lbs.

GHW-3 : 4-door Regal sedan - $1,445, weight - 3,335 lbs.

GHC-3 : 2-door Regal Brougham (5-pass coupe) - $1,475 - 3,390

The "112588-1 H*9*18" is the casting number for that part. You should find the engine number stamped on the left side of the engine, at the centre, just below the head. The number is stamped, which is to say the digits are stamped into the block and not raised as the casting numbers are.

Bill

Vancouver, BC