Red/Organge Accent Paint

materal

I've often wondered but have never seen much written about the reddish/orange accent paint that was used on the Lincoln Zephyr's. I don't know which years it was used but I know that my 40 sedan has it/ It was used on the Hubcap script, the trunk latch, the V12 hood emblem, headlight trim, bumper guards etc. For those of you have restored your cars with this detail, what did you use? Is there somebody that has mixed this up and sells it to match the correct original color or do most people just try to get it close on their own. If I was to do it on my own, what kind of paint is best suited to adhere to chrome?

post-33039-143137886689_thumb.jpg

Best authentic colors are probally available from Ed Spagnola at color-rite. I cheated on my '41 hubcaps and used a rustoleum color called "Regal Red" that I think looks very close to some original that was on some of Bills "loaned" hubcaps. I used an artists brush, and just scuffed the depressed areas with #400 wet or dry sandpaper, stuck real well, and was fairly smooth, would probally be better to spray it, but masking or removing the excess paint from the surrounding area is time consuming and frustrating. That little touch of color is a very aesthetic on these cars, I think, Rolf

Thanks Rolf. I'll check with Ed. I think I may also try your method with trying to get close with a similar color. I can experiment on a spare hubcap I have. If it doesn't look too good, I can always do it again. It wouldn't be the end of the world! I appreciate the insight and direction.

Matt

Color-ite does have the color already matched. Keep in mind that the accent color only goes in the recessed areas of the chrome. You can apply it with a small brush or spray and give it a couple minutes dry time. Wrap a paint stir stick or a 2 x 4 with a thin cloth rag wet with lacquer thinner. Stretch the rag tight over the stick and wipe it over the painted area. With the piece of wood behind it, the rag will clean the raised areas but leave the paint in the recessed area. If you use a thick rag like a towel or if the rag is too wet, it will get down in the recess, which you don't want. This method will leave a nice edge around the recess, much cleaner than you can do by hand.

• 3 weeks later...