LZ Parts

Guest imported_V12Bill

Guest imported_V12Bill

Anyone in pursuit of V 12 parts is advised to attend the LZ Swap meet in Lancaster PA on Feb 3 & 4 Friday is the better day as most of the venders start to pack up and are gone by noon Sat.

Guest imported_V12Bill

Cecil, I am going out on Thurs afternoon as I have to pick up some chrome in Harrisburg. I hope to be able to set up Thurs PM and stay overnite and leave Fri PM late. Hope to thin out a lot of my excess parts, but I know I will buy more. Isn't that why they call it a swap meet?

Bill

I am getting pretty bare on parts, here is ball park what I have left,this is all off of 46-48 cars. Front grills that can be rechromed (3), emergency brake cables, one brake drum (front), one complete rearend (Rolf wants the backing plates if I can get them off, trunk ornament or trunk release, door locks, small stuff stripped. I have chrome trim but one guy wants it, the transmission cover or tunnel, radio and other parts. I also have 3 speedo's the left section of the instrument panel and Lord knows what else I can think of at this time. My biggest factor is the time factor since I don't live here and work on the road. Eventually what is left will go for scrap like the other things that have to get gone. Also, there appears to be one or two transmissions gutted (the gears). I have not checked them yet to determine if the gear parts are of any use.

Maurice

Guest imported_V12Bill

Karl, The motel is the Travelodge on Lititz Pike just off Route 30. I don't have the phone # handy but you can use Hotel.com and get in touch with them direct not the 800 #. They offer a special of $49. per nite to LZ people that weekend.

Bill

Question for me still learning about these cars. What activates the overdrive in the later cars (46 to 48)? Is it a cable going to a solenoid switch or something on the overdrive transmission or is it activated by a vacuum hydraulic system?

Thanks,

Mims

Guest imported_V12Bill

Mims, Borg-Waarner supplied OD s for Lincolns from 1941 to 1948 and they all work in the same way. (Not to be confused with Columbia two speed rears) The cable on the dash is OUT to lock the transmission out of overdrive and in direct drive. The cable is pushed IN to allow the transmission to shift INto overdrive. The actual shifting is down electrically in any gear when the car attains a speed of about 27 MPH. At about 22 MPH the trans will automatically shift out of overdrive and go to freewheeling. Or if the need for more power and speed arises while in OD, by pushing the accelerator to the floor it will downshift. Letting up on the accelerator will allow the OD to shift back into overdrive. Pick up an old Chiltons or Motors Manuel and they usually describe how they work as well as trouble shoot. Many cars of the 40's and 50's used Borg Warner ODs so the info is the same for most.

Bill