Interesting Reading, Progaganda! Ford..Toyota.

Steve Moskowitz

A favorite site of mine is www.autoextremist.com Today's editorials are about Ford Motor Company and Toyota's entry into NASCAR. Peter DeLorenzo, the editor is a well respected journalist, pr guy who privately works for some of the same companies he bashes. Interesting reading whether you agree with him or not. I have had a few jousts with him myself but he usally has some very interesting thoughts.

As a collector.... a collector of quotes that is.... I recall someone saying once.... "SO GOES THE AUTO INDUSTRY, SO GOES THE COUNTRY".

Chrysler now German Owned

Mack Trucks now owned by Volvo

GM spinning towards Bankruptcy (so said a radio talk show host this week)

Ford is teetering on the brink of extinction (as said in this article by DeLorenzo)

Who's next ???? Who's left looks like the question. Myself I'm not too worried as I left the comfy corporate world of advertising a few years ago and took up residence in the recession proof world of auto salvage. Enjoyed the articles thanks.

060104-laautoshow-ford1_e.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> In this photo released by the Ford Motor Co., Mark Fields, Ford Executive Vice President and President of The Americas, speaks in front of a 2006 Mustang at the company's exhibit at the Los Angeles Auto Show Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2005. In an internal webcast preview of his keynote address earlier Wednesday, <span style="font-weight: bold">Fields told employees that [color:\\"red\\"]the days of the 'Big Three' U.S. automakers are over. He said Ford would refocus its North American brands to be America's car company to gain market share in the [color:\\"red\\"]'Big Six' shootout between Ford, GM, DaimlerChrysler, Nissan, Toyota and Honda.</span> (AP Photo/Ford Motor Co., John T. Barr)

</div></div>

This quote has been broadcast far and wide. It was said in <span style="font-style: italic">promotion of a positive image</span> of Ford as an American brand. I suggest anyone who still sees a distinction between "American" and "foreign" car companies read it very carefully, as well as Toyota's response:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Responding to Fields' remarks, Toyota spokesman Mike Michels said, "We view ourselves as the customers' brand, nothing more and nothing less." ...

"<span style="font-weight: bold">In the end</span>," he added, "<span style="font-weight: bold">all automakers are international brands.</span>"

</div></div>

Ford Exec Promotes Brand's U.S. Identity