Car in Old Photo-Identification Needed

Chris Paulsen

I started colecting them about 15 years ago while I was still in high school. I had finished building my '14 Model T and didn't have enough money to buy anything expensive at flea markets and antique shops, but I HAD to buy something. It was usually postcards, license plates, and other odds and ends associated with early cars. Hmmm....not much has changed, I guess.

Shall I post some more I can't identify?

Thanks,

Chris

I agree with Dan, we are enjoying them a lot! You also might want to see if Steve or West can get some of them into Antique Automobile Magazine for potential ID. Let me know when you run out and I'll get into my postcard collection too. Started about 20 years ago when I was at an antique market in Scotland. Didn't find anything else to buy and while waiting for my wife to catch up, I looked down where I was standing (beside a postcard dealer's booth) and right under my hand was a whole section on "autos." I bought them all and that started the whole thing. My collection is a real hodge-podge with a lot of art stuff, valentines, comic, advertising, etc. but all of it is pretty early. The photo types are really interesting especially with people and good backgrounds in them.

Terry

Guest De Soto Frank

Great pics, Chris !

My guess on the car is Cadillac ? c. 1920-22 ???

I observe that there is no "Driver's front door"(or is there?)...my how times have changed !

Those are two substantial individuals with the car...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My guess on the car is Cadillac ? c. 1920-22 ???</div></div>

Looks similar to Cadillac, but I don't think Cadillac ever used slanted louvers, and there aren't any cowl lights.

I'm going to guess Oakland, of the same vintage.

Could be a Monroe. Others that are close (I think) are Chalmers, Paige, Hupmobile. The 10 spoke front wheels are unusual this late. Cadilac did use them, but I agree, I don't think it's a Cadillac.

I tried to blow-up the hubcap from the original pic, but didn't get anything good. It is attached anyway.

Keep the guesses coming.

Chris

post-30702-143137884002_thumb.jpg

Guest c.johnson

Don't think it's an Oakland because of the slanted louvres, also the inside fender line looks too deep of a curve.

Best bet is to enlarge photo near the hubcaps & go from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't think it's an Oakland because of the slanted louvres, also the inside fender line looks too deep of a curve. </div></div>

Oakland had slanted louvers in the late teens, and so did Chevrolet. The top sure looks like General Motors to me, from the late teens.

Guest De Soto Frank

Okay, about that hubcap logo...

From what I can see from the LF hub cap and the radiator shell, the marque logo appears to involve some sort of parallelogram, surrounded by a circular emblem ?

Couldn't be Studebaker, could it ?

The headlights remind me of those I've seen on "big" Chevrolets of the period, but the hoodline seems a little high for a Chevy ?

Time to hit the Carspotter's Guide...

This one has been gnawing at me since it was posted, I knew I had seen a photo of one of these cars sometime or other but could not place it. Finally after following many false leads I think I have figured it out. That's a 1920 Oldsmobile "Thoroughbred 7-passenger touring", like other 46s it, was motivated by the "heavy" V-8 from Northway. An ad for the 1920 model can be found at http://cgi.ebay.com/1920-Olds-Oldsmobile...1QQcmdZViewItem . A clear photo of the 1921 model can be seen at http://www.oldsmobile.com/olds/enthusiasts/zoom262c.html . That shots shows the hard to place slanted hood vents, and, new for 21, wire wheels.

Stephen

Guest De Soto Frank

Hi Stephen,

I took a look at the photos from your Old links...they look really similar to the mystery car, with two exceptions:

Wheels - the Olds have six-lug demountable rims (both the 1918 and the 1921); our mystery car has five-lug demountables.

Radiator - the Olds have the characteristic rounded radiator shell, and the inner profile of the shell is rounded as well...mystery car looks as though the inner edge of the top of the radiator shell is a straight horizontal line, not rounded like the Olds...?

I don't have any better guesses on the mystery car, but I did enjoy the links to the Olds site !

Like you, Stephen, it seemed I kept returning to Oldsmobile in the Standard Catalog, but, as Frank pointed out, the Mystery car has a different grille, and there are no door handles and no cowl lights. The front fender line is different and the doors on the mystery car are flush while there appears to be a raised molding around the doors of the Oldsmobile. It's hard to speculate on the wheels as they are both completely different types.

It sure looks like a GM product, though.

Guest De Soto Frank

West,

I know Caddy was ruled-out early on, but that radiator shell is what made me suggest Cadillac in the first place...

• 4 years later...
Lexington had a rectangular radiator emblem on an angled boss in the rad shell - which could be the shadow in the picture. The headlamps mounted to brackets riveted to the side of the shell, but I thought they used drum shaped headlamps...

Lexington did indeed use Drum Headlights in the 20's , these however would be correct for the late teens...........Noel