100 Corvettes 50 Camaros 21 Buicks and a $115,000 amphicar

Guest sintid58

Guest sintid58

I was watching Barrett Jackson the past 2 nights and the first night they gave the number of Corvettes, Camaros, muscle cars, and 50's and 60's cars. I dont remember the exact numbers but it was over 100 Corvettes, 50 Camaros and the total for all muscle and 50's and 60's cars was around 407 I think. I can see by these numbers that those Corvettes and Camaros are really rare. And it seems like everyone is a numbers matching big block car with 27 miles on the clock. But (I can't remember who it is here) someone on the Buick Forum should be tickled pink they sold an amphicar last night for $115,000.

Guest 53Nailhead

There are so many Camaros & Vettes I'm starting to lose interest. Still watching but the Classics cars are becoming few & far between, for my tastes anyway! Hope it picks up tonite & on the weekend.

Les

Guest 52buick72r

Sadly, it won't. Most of the Buicks were already auctioned off, including a few GS's. I was surprised to see the two Lincoln V12's, but I think that's about if for the "classics". They are selling what's in demand - and that includes motorcycles, however I didn't see any early Indians and Harleys, other than the 2003 last night (I know, it's not early). I don't know if you heard, but that's an area that the organizers want to tap into more (bikes).

I don't know about y'all, but I am getting tired of seeing EVERY Chevrolet ever made, at every show. Anybody been to the Carlisle GM show as of late? Don't go looking for anything other than a Camaro, Chevelle, or Corvette. Sure, there are GTO's, but I have yet to see an Oakland, Cadillic, or even a LaSalle. And the only Buick there was a 65 Riv, and a couple of GS's that were in the Carral.

Back to my point - the hobby has shifted away from the turnpike family cruisers, and toward the "go fast now" croud who are reliving their past (the same thing happend years ago to the real classics). Over $100,000 for any Chevy is just flat out crazy.

Of course, that's only my opinion, and I'm sure there are many a Chevy fan who would disagree.

Quote; "But (I can't remember who it is here) someone on the Buick Forum should be tickled pink they sold an amphicar last night for $115,000."

I'm not sure if you talking about me but I am tickled (not sure pink though). But in reality BJ prices can't be taken seriously and most those in the hobby know that, its the people without a clue that can be trouble. They will now think their #3 vehicle is an automatic #1 and worth a fortune.

That said, I am willing to sell my Amphicar (see attachment) for a mere $90,000 on a first come basis, hurry! grin.gif

Have a good weekend.

post-30758-143137883747_thumb.jpg

Guest 52buick72r

I'll take three.

And you're right - the reality is, that the auctions don't really indicate what the "general" market is. What is happening is, like you said, there are those out there who think their car will fetch the same price. It's spreading though, as some of the asking $$$ at Hershey and Carlisle is heading up, but not necessarily selling at that amount.

Guest sintid58

I realize that Barret Jackson is not really a good representation of what cars should and do bring in the real world and I think it is doing our hobby more harm than good but TV coverage is magnetic and draws millions in viewers and millions in revenue. Most of the people who buy at this sale are millionaires and a hundred thousand is not near as much to them to get what they want as it is the average joe. I think almost everything I have seen sell has been very overpricedl, so much so it isn't really fun to watch. And yes know I every person with a 69 Chevelle 4 door sedan with no options and a 6 cylinder is going to think their car is worth $50,000 or more because they saw a car the same color and year sell for over $100,000 at Barrett Jackson. More idiots on ebay. It will get nearly impossible for anyone in the middle class to even look at any kind of driver that they can afford. Sad in so many ways. Oh and while we are all bashing the Chuvy's what about those Mopar's that is getting unreal also.

Guest Shaffer

Yeah, we saw that little Amphicar. I was amazed at that price. I was also amazed at some of the other nice cars that sold rather cheaply.

Guest imported_Thriller

Some days it is good not to belong to the 987 channel universe...with my basic cable, I haven't seen it listed on any channels I get.

Similar discussion in the thread about a '60 Buick that sold for almost $60k. I'd love to have an Amphicar...truly an innovative product...so why does having a Hemi double the price of a Mopar, but a Stage 1 just gives a GS a bit of a bump (I'm being a bit sarcastic).

A few years back I looked at a '53 Special convertible...it was repainted in non-original colour two-tone, had some interior issues (I think it was burgundy but the door panels were blue or something like that)...the paint had orange peel all over. I was ready to deal for this car as a driver...showed him a recent Old Cars Price Guide, basically made him an offer that was probably high, and after he was done making excuses, I never heard from him again.

• 7 years later...

Hello Ron:

Do you still have your amphicar and do you have any interest in selling it?

Quote; "But (I can't remember who it is here) someone on the Buick Forum should be tickled pink they sold an amphicar last night for $115,000."

I'm not sure if you talking about me but I am tickled (not sure pink though). But in reality BJ prices can't be taken seriously and most those in the hobby know that, its the people without a clue that can be trouble. They will now think their #3 vehicle is an automatic #1 and worth a fortune.

That said, I am willing to sell my Amphicar (see attachment) for a mere $90,000 on a first come basis, hurry! grin.gif

Have a good weekend.

Hello Ron:

Do you still have your amphicar and do you have any interest in selling it?

Sorry not for sale. Not to hijack the Buick form but I just completed a 3 year restoration with close to 3,000 hours and just gave it the road and water test. I haven’t even taken any finished pictures yet. Just renewed the marine insurance on it and I am going to start using it. Have a good weekend.

post-30758-143141958224_thumb.jpg

post-30758-143141958229_thumb.jpg

OK - thanks for the reply - have fun with it.

Sorry not for sale. Not to hijack the Buick form but I just completed a 3 year restoration with close to 3,000 hours and just gave it the road and water test. I haven’t even taken any finished pictures yet. Just renewed the marine insurance on it and I am going to start using it. Have a good weekend.