oh, what a happy day.

birger

Finaly,the engine is running very smooooth and very calm.I made a test and cut of wires from resistors and made a direct connection from battery to coils and all problems disappeard.I reconize this problem from flathead v8.So- is it possible to find an adapterplate for the distributor in order to use modern coils.Im aware its not original,but I want a reliable car when driving around in the contry in summertime.Thanks to all of you who help me through my efforts-this is a very good and well working FORUM.Birger

Well, I am sure we are all very pleased that Birger has found the solution to all his problems, and we certainly wish him the best of luck. Others who have had these kind of problems have found other solutions, for instance running without the resistors caused the coil to overheat, and prematurely break down. As has been said many times, the coil can be rebuilt for a modest price, the resistors run in the normal fashion, and good service obtained for many years. Back in the 1980's, I personally was running a converted Zephyr distributor on a 1948 flathead Ford V-8 engine in my '41 Ford pickup, my Lincoln coil failed, and I knew of no one who could rebuild them at that time, so I found at a place called "Joe Hunt" speed parts in Georgia, an adapter plate for a Z distributor that you could use 2 regular upright 6 volt coils with, the set-up looked terrible, did run alright, but because I like a "hot" flathead to be a thing of beauty, I soon went back to the stock Ford distributor, even though it did not look as good as the basic Lincoln unit, the moral of this story for me, is get Jake to rebuild the coil, Rolf

Is anyone building HEI or solid state ignition systems for V-12 Lincolns? A while back I noticed a Hot Rodded Lincoln V12 engine somewhere on the Internet which appeared to have some type of V-12 (maybe Jaguar) HEI ignition system mounted to the front of the engine. I believe the motor was going in something like a 32 to 34 Ford street rod.

One guy I know proclaims HEI systems he has installed for his A Models and Flathead Ford V8's have worked wonders.

Mims

cool.gif

I've herad there are a few flathead motors with crank trigger ignitions. Since the V-12 is an odd fire, 75 degree motor, you get a pulse at 75 then 45 degrees. MSD makes a universal crank trigger. Need a 6 cylinder trigger with two pickups. Anyone tried this?

Power Machine service in Spokane tried an in the lifter valley fuel injection, but never finished. They had to machine off the inside of the valve pockets and add a custom aluminum block to mount injectors.

Abe